Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Index Pages

Member #
    You often see commercial sites such as the BBC in the UK advertising pages such as:-
    www.bbc.co.uk/history or www.bbc.co.uk/nature
    I appreciate the index page does not require the "htm/html" after it, but how do they advertise page such as those above without the need for an html extension.
    I would like to promote certain pages on my web site without the clutter of htm/html.
    Any ideas ?

Member #
    Those pages are not called history.html or nature.htm

They are sub-directories, or sub-folders whichever you like.

When a browser is pointed to a sub directory, the server looks for files named index, main, default, home (the extension does not have to be .html)

You can configure how a server responds to a specific directory if you like, say to load a file named something other than index.html

So, do you use an FTP program of an online file manager? You should be able to create new directories in each of them.

Then once inside that directory if you upload a file called index.htm you will see that you do not need the extension of directory/index.htm just directory/

Member #
    Thanks for that.
    I tried out a test page and it worked perfectly !
    Seeing pages advertised on the TV with no extension, has baffled me for weeks - now I know the answer

Your reply very much appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bfsog
    Those pages are not called history.html or nature.htm

They are sub-directories, or sub-folders whichever you like.
    While this is probably true in the specific case of bbc.co.uk, there are ways to make `virtual' directories, if you will, or turn URIs that look like directories into references to certain files that aren't in that directory structure. Using Apache, that's generally done using mod_rewrite. RoR does this using features in the Ruby webserver WEBrick. Java does it essentially out of the box using configuratoin files.

Anyway, I was just making the point that, even though it *can* be done with subdirectories, at times, it's done differently, too. And that can be powerful in more ways than one.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Shadow,

Do you know how to configure Java through Tomcat or Orion for virtual URIs?

Got a link to any info on that?

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well... Define `virtual URIs'... By definition, all URIs in Java seem to be virtual, right? You have to define what servlet gets what URI.

Remove Ads