Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Hi I would like to build site like this site: http://www.keithdustin.com/
    I know it is using frames, which is good for one thing, opening content on the page without reloading the whole page. Also this will adjust to whatever size the screen resolution is on the users computer.
    I was wondering can this all be done without using frames (heard frames are not very browser friendly).
    Thanks for your help

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It's most certainly doable, yes. A div with the content instead of the iframe that is on that site, and you're set. overflow: auto in the CSS will get you the scrollbars when there's too much data.

In general, by the way, it's a good idea to give your topic a title that describes what you're asking for, rather than the generic `can anyone help' :-)

Member #
    That sounds better, using the Div : )
    I know with frames and tables, tables especially you can set to 100% and it will fit to the page, can you do this, or something similar with divs?
    I will put a more specific title from now on thanks for the hint.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It would be something similar in this case. You can't set it to 100%, since that would be the width of the entire page. But you could, for example, set it to 80% or so.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T
    I know it is using frames, which is good for one thing, opening content on the page without reloading the whole page.
    Naah, frames are good for 0.00 things... lol Any benefit they give is negated by the drawbacks they lumber you with like poor SEO and poor accessiblity.

Semantic XHTML and CSS is the way forward my man. Once you get using it and get the hang of it you'll be unstoppable.
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    Thanks for the help guys, using CSS has been much faster than those stupid frames.
    Another question, I would like to have a gallery of the persons work. i don't want to have have to use a database. Are you are able to use a PHP, XML gallery?
    If so are there any free scripts I could use?

Member #
    You can have very cool thumbnail type galleries using CSS based lists... Do some research on that one...

Member #
    This is one thing I love about this site, i've never been given the easy option I'm always recommended to look into certain things / nudged in the right direction. The results are always much more satisfying : )

Member #
    Absolutely right. I hate to see people learning things parrot fashion. I'd rather help you help yourslef than just hold your hand though the whole thing...

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Well ... I think this is the first time someones' happy searching :laugh:
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads