Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    When you mouse over one of my nav images, a border is supposed to show up around the img. In IE it works fine but in Firefox it only shows a half border.

My site is at http://www.btcampaign.com/blog/blog.html. Just go to it and mouse over one of the nav icons on the left. As i said the problem only happens in Firefox for some reason. Any help on this would be great.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The size of the a element's box in the Gecko engine isn't the whole image, it's just a single text line height. I would suggest setting an explicit height on the a tag. It's also not the most worthless idea in the world to set the explicit size on the a tag and use the fast CSS image rollovers without preload that I mentioned in your previous thread. That'll also allow you to position your image precisely and have the text that's currently part of the image as part of your XHTML, since it's part of the content of the page.

I also noticed you're adjusting your CSS style depending on the browser by checking for window.XMLHttpRequest as an object. That's dangerous at best and inefective at worst, since starting with IE7 (I believe; it might be earlier), the XMLHttpRequest object becomes a non-ActiveX one in IE, as well.

Granted, most of the CSS hacks that are currently in use to get around IE's misbehavior are also being annihilated by IE7, and serious improvements to its CSS handling are nowhere to be found, but there should (hopefully) still be some around to deal with it, whereas the Javascript method is always unreliable at best (not the least because someone may have CSS enabled but Javascript disabled, for example).

Member #
    I hope that in IE you don't get the effect where if you hover over one link it shifts all the others around...That is an ugly effect!

Counter it by having a border around the images at all times just make it the same colour as the BG so it is invisible until it is rolled over.
    No ma'am, we in IT don't have a sense of humor we're aware of.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm not sure if this is the problem but why do you have "Border: none" in the menu left code?:

Remove Ads