Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey y'all

So what we have decided to do is to put our dynamic content inside an IFrame on a main page with a flash menu based navigation on the bottom. My problem now is that my Flash menu, when extended, goes over top of the IFrame and I can no longer access any parts of it that are overlapping.

In IE this is not a problem, but I want to avoid telling people "You have to use IE to view this page!"

Here is an example: http://www.whatadewitt.com/coolriot

Look at it in FF, and IE (note: the links won't work, neither will the pictures, but you can click the little up/down arrow at the top to see what my problem is)

Thanks a ton!

Edit: At the moment I only have the IFrame at a certain size, so depending on your resolution, you may have to change the size of your browser window to see the problem. To see the problem you need to make sure that some of the flash is covering some of the whitespace.
    thanks again!

--D

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    This is likely a side-effect of how plugins are handled in Firefox, and a cursory glance through Google indicates it may well not be fixable.

However, you've combined two of the things I consider to be most horrible ideas; namely, Flash menus and iframes. Any reason why you can't do this without one or the other? Can you not use SSI or some other server technology like PHP to avoid iframes? Can you not achieve a similar effect to what your Flash does via XHTML+CSS+JS?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    This is likely a side-effect of how plugins are handled in Firefox, and a cursory glance through Google indicates it may well not be fixable.

However, you've combined two of the things I consider to be most horrible ideas; namely, Flash menus and iframes. Any reason why you can't do this without one or the other? Can you not use SSI or some other server technology like PHP to avoid iframes? Can you not achieve a similar effect to what your Flash does via XHTML+CSS+JS?
    Hey ShadowFriend,

Great response, thanks.
    I may be able to do that stuff outside of Flash, but at the moment we are looking for a quick fix, and I think I have it, what I am going to do (for now) is just change the height of the iFrame. It isn't the best thing in the world, but it will do the trick. I will have to look at creating a similar type menubar in XHTML/CSS/JS.

Thanks a ton!

--D

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    No problem. For what it's worth, I think you'd have an easier time of it using SSI than recreating the menu bar in browser technologies :-) Though from what I can see the menubar can definitely be recreated that way.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Firefox handles Flash z-order differently than IE - that's where your problem is coming from.

I had a similar issue to yours in a site I made a few years ago that had a persistent Flash menu w/ HTML content.

I decided on standard Frames and some creative use of divs.

The site is www.motopuntos.com. (Select Mexico as your country to see the flash menu.)

Good luck with your project! Let us know what you decide on!

Remove Ads