Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am working on this website and cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong.
    Here is the link: LetterBlue Blog

In IE the page displays as it should (almost). I would like the 'search this blog' section to appear where it is in firefox, not at the bottom like in IE. In Firefox, things get a little weird. In firefox when you scroll to the bottom, the background disappears. The footer is not on the bottom of the page but rather is fixed(?) Also, the 'letterblue productions...' thing in the banner is mis-aligned.... This is all a little hard to explain but if you can view the page in both browsers you will see what I mean.

I'm really stumped on this one and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Member #
    Alas, I have IE7b3 installed, so can't check IE6.
    But:
    To me, Firefox looks better than IE. Again, this is IE7. In IE the white background becomes jagged well before it does in Firefox. And it's cool how in firefox the bottom part of the page is fixed there. It's OK to have differences in browsers as long as it "works" in all major browsers.

In IE7 the footer is *also* fixed, but is only partially (maybe 80px, depending on window size) visible.

That said..

I'm sorry I can't see the page in IE to see if I can troubleshoot more.

Don't worry about IE7 yet, b/c it is still breaking A LOT of stuff. At least my stuff. And guess what? No way in hell am I changing my code to conform to IE7. Why? Because by 2006, any new browsers are expected to be equal to or better than existing browsers. If my pages work in Firefox, Opera, Safari, and IE6, IE7 shouldn't break them; if they do, not only is that my fault, but I will actively tell each IE7-using site visitor why it's broken. So help me God.

Sorry about the rant.

(/me examines code in Firefox using Web Developer Toolbar extension and Firebug extension)

OK, try this. Add [minicode]<br style="clear: both; display: block;" />[/minicode] right before your closing [minicode] </div>[/minicode] tag for #container.
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Remove Ads