Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Liked
    731 times
    A couple of months ago I was put on "maturity" leave
    "maturity" or "maternity"? They seem like they might be different things ...

EDIT .... layed-off your job? Maybe "maturity leave" is a term I haven't heard of before?

People like FrontPage and Dreamweaver (for that matter) because they want
    a "wysiwyg" type of editor to make webpages. Dreamweaver is a much better
    choice, but with so many free CSS tutorials and examples on the internet, a person
    could really just copy an existing CSS example and modify for their own use, just
    by using Notepad or Wordpad.

Using editor software adds a lot of extra code that's not necessary. It does that
    because it has to be generic enough to handle whatever people throw at it.
    Because they create all the code, it becomes difficult for someone to go in and
    alter things by hand ... it's hard to decipher what has been created.

Go to a site like www.csszengarden.com and see how each author uses the same
    exact HTML content page ... but their own style sheet. It becomes apparent that
    the CSS style sheet is the key to how a website looks ... what the site "feels like",
    and what the site "conveys" to the visitor.

<tables> are OK for tabular data, such as calendars, or lists of files that gets
    pulled out of a database, things like that. Tables are always acceptable for what
    they were desiged for (tabular data). Using <div>'s instead of tables is the way
    you would position sections of your web pages. The style sheet (CSS) would define
    each <div> section, the size, fonts, borders, backgrounds, text, colors, etc.

And yes, CSS loads faster, but for an interesting reason ... with browsers such as IE,
    the table must be fully loaded before it displays on the page. That creates the
    illusion of "loading slow". Firefox does a better job of displaying tables as they load.

Takes sections of your site(s) and eliminate <table> sections one at a time ...
    experiment with using <div>'s instead of <table>'s. Once you alter a few sections
    of your page, you'll see what I mean about CSS.

Member #
    I did mean "maturity" because I am 61 years old. "Maturity" Leave is a term I started using because I wasn't ready for retirement, but the company I was working for decided I was........along with a few other mature individuals.
    Early this morning, I looked at some of your (mlseim) posts and found where you recommended www.csszengarden.com in January of this year, and where your post got the "post of the day" award. I have been reading my CSS book and looking at the information on that site. I really thank you for your advice and information. After I update my site, I will let you know and I appreciate any other suggestions you may have. I am never too old to learn or to know when someone is offering good advice.

Member #
    I solved my original problem. I removed a comment line at the top of the home page. I am still working on changing my design to use CSS and I thank you all for your suggestions.

Member #
    I finished converting my site to be a "CSS" site, and I submitted two entries to the Zen Garden. Thank you again for your suggestions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads