Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

I'm relatively new to CSS.... teaching myself as much as I can.

Created this site in CSS from the ground up.... I've tried to stucture my CSS as simply as possible to get the job done.

Here's the page.

Here's the basic div structure.

Here's the CSS.

-----------------------
    When I test it out on my own system in IE it looks fine...however, when I upload the *same* files to my TELUS server, and load the page.... it shifts up the footer... <div class="footerwhite"> ...

Is there an explanation why the SAME file renders differently on my comp and online???

------------------------

Also, the page looks fine in IE on my comp, but in Mozilla on my comp a lot of the boxes are shifted really weirdly...

------------------------

IDEA>>>
    My brain is more in the design/graphic space than backend coding... Wondering if there are any coders out there who could help me out with this...? If any of you could help me out with this, I could help you out with logos, graphics etc.... Maybe we could work something out? Any advice on the problems above would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Tanya

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    If you are using some sort of free hosting, the host could be automatically rewriting the HTML sent to your browser, screwing up your layout. If you pay for your hosting instead, you ensure exactly what the server is sending.

Uploading an HTML or CSS file shouldn't affect its rendering.

BTW, you have some validation errors: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...test/index.htm . All of them are easy to fix excluding the "target" attribute missing in XHTML Strict; your only options for opening a site in a new window in XHTML 1.0 Strict are either Javascript (lame workaround) or changing the doctype back to XHTML 1.0 Transitional, which allows it.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    FYI....as a test, I've uploaded the page to a paid host, and it looks exactly the same, with the shifted-up footer div.

I'll go ahead and fix those validation errors too...thanks for the help!!

Remove Ads