Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I had hoped to upload my new site very soon but Ive only just realised that in IE it doesnt display properly. It works fine in Firefox.

Im sure the problem is fairly simple if you are familiar with the quirks of IE but Im completely stuck as to how to fix it.

You can see a mock up here
    http://www.imakefilms.co.uk/random/t...ng/index.html#

If someone could tell me what I need to do to change the code to get it to show up in IE how it does in FF then you would be really getting me out of a hole.

Thank in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You need to zero out the bottom margin of the menu list (margin: 0 on #navlist).

Member #
    Sweet man. I knew it would be something really simple, it always is.

Ive still got the problem that the right hand side bar text doesnt sync up with the side like it does in FF. Look at the page in IE and you will see what I mean.

Member #
    I think I might have solved the problem. Its no longer displaying badly, but its still not as pretty as it is in Firefox. Maybe I can tweak it still.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    your site looks identical in both browsers to me. good job.

Member #
    Here's a little tip that I found to be a life-saver: if you prefix a CSS selector with html>body it will be ignored by IE. Example:

Code:
    /* this selector is used in all browsers */
    div#content {
      background-color: #CCC;
      padding: 10px;
      margin-left: 20px;
    }

/* this selector is ignored by IE */
    html>body div#content {
      margin-left: 0;
    }
    In the above example, standards-compliant browsers (such as Firefox and the almighty Opera) will apply the rules in the first selector, then apply the rules in the second selector. The margin-left attribute of the DIV will end up being 0, as this is the last rule to be applied. Internet Explorer, however, ignores the second selector; the margin-left attribute of the DIV ends up being 20px (but only in IE). This is a great way to write different CSS rules for IE, and one that I am unfortunately forced to use on a daily basis. Hopefully IE7 should do a better job...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, the danger with IE7 is that that hack no longer works (as I remember) and the problem you're trying to fix may not be fixed in IE7 :-P

But this particular problem didn't need any selector hacking -- zeroing out the margin can be applied to all browsers equally.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    Well, the danger with IE7 is that that hack no longer works (as I remember) and the problem you're trying to fix may not be fixed in IE7 :-P
    If IE7 is truly standards compliant then (in theory at least) it should apply the html>body rules as well. Since the html>body rules are extra ones for standards-compliant browsers, this should mean that it ends up rendering the page properly. But then again this is IE we're talking about, so who knows! I'd download the beta and test it out myself but my license key has been misplaced...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    But this particular problem didn't need any selector hacking -- zeroing out the margin can be applied to all browsers equally.
    I did that on purpose to see if anyone would spot it
    Really!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, IE7 isn't fully standards compliant. They've fixed a lot of the more blatant bugs (:hover with non-a elements, for example) but left some others (and not implemented some features, such as content()). The fixed bugs include the html > body parsing, but since not all other bugs have been fixed, some of the little issues that the html > body hack was being used for will rear their ugly heads again.

Member #
    Oh dear
    I'm disappointed, but I can't say that I'm really surprised. Roll on IE8...

Remove Ads