Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Although I am totally in agreement with tibberous on why not to ever use the propiortary filters in IE. There is one instance where one comes in handly. As I am sure you are aware, IE does not support png transparancy, however if you use 'AlphaImageLoader' you can effectivly use png's alpha transparency in IE. It is not the ideal solution, but its what we have until IE supports png alpha transparency.

Member #
    Didn't know about that. :-/

Member #
    Opacity is actually a valid CSS property, but its just opacity: 0.5.

Member #
    Can we use any of these to make IE properly display transparency in .png images? They're perfectly aware of the problem, but they're pretty much choosing to leave it broken. They provide a way to fix it at the developer's expense: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294714

Could the alpha option be used on an img tag instead of that weird div thing?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Dunno what weird div thing you're talking about, but yes, AlphaImageLoader can be applied to img tags, as well.

Member #
    One of the biggest problems with opacity is that it is not valid css through the w3c yet. As for filter: alpha(opacity) this is just another way the IE is trying to be different and they really need to get on the same page as everyone else because speaking as a coder it sucks when you have to go through and just find IE bugs and you know that all the other highly used browsers will work just fine with out checking for bugs.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Better yet, the filter method doesn't work in IE8. See http://www.quirksmode.org/css/opacity.html . In IE's defense, they were doing filters well before opacity existed in other browsers, or in any CSS standard.

Not that I'm supporting IE. This is the second full version without opacity support. That's just silly.

Member #
    you can achieve transparency in ie 7 on wards now with transparent png images. css may not work always but the present way is to write css for each browser seperate

Junior Member Mercedes Marie Calayag's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    The problem with these filters is, they don't appear 'consistent' among browsers... especially in IE.

Yes, expect in consistencies.

Now if you have open-minded Clients, what you can do is do all effects you want on other browsers and have IE's design have a different look with the same elements... meaning have a design with NONE of these effects, thus avoiding the said filters.

I have seen this done before and it worked in a sense it didn't veer away from the site brand. Same elements, layout, content, etc. Just a few design tweaks here and there to make the look fine in IE.

I'll try to look for the URL of this said site but I can't promise anything as I have forgotten where I've seen it. Ehehehe.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    IE7 and IE8 have native PNG support for alpha-transparencies, but it falls to pieces as soon as opacity comes into the picture. When setting any value for opacity, even 100% (ie. filter: alpha(opacity = 100)), IE fills in the alpha-transparency of the PNG with a pure black fill. This is sometimes refered to as a 'black halo'. The alpha filter can be removed at any time to remove the fill and restore the alpha transparency,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads