Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Ok, first off, I did reference a few other threads, but it seems those solutions did not work for me for some reason. The most recent thread was: http://www.webdesignforums.net/start..._ie_18437.html
    I tried most of the solutions there, except for the ones given where I had no idea what anyone was talking about (hence, Noob in the subject of this thread).

I am working with Dreamweaver 8, and am taking my first stab at creating a page for a family friend. The url is http://www.allamericanredtails.com. The problem that I am having is that on two of the pages I have in my mainframe (rollover Available on the menu, and Redtail Morphs -> Genetic Stripes and Double/Triple Het are the two pages in question), there is a horizontal scrollbar showing up for some odd reason. I am essentially copying the tables I had from previous pages I created (I haven't gotten as far as making a template yet), and pasting them into a new HTML doc. I can't tell for the life of me why these two pages come up with this scrollbar, and the others do not.

I have solved this problem on my PC, however, the person for whom I am designing the page still gets it on his screen. He is using a 1024x768 res, which I switched to, and it is not coming up on my screen, but is on his still... We are both using IE6 to view the site.

I would love to be able to design a site where it can be accessible from most browsers consistently, although just making IE work would be fantastic.

And my apologies ahead of time for having to decipher the quite lengthy scripting behind this site. I say again, I am very new to this, and I obviously have a few 'bugs' to work out in my design process.

Any idea why these scrollbars would be showing on only two pages? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've looked in FF and IE7 and there is no scrolling involved. It might be a bug with his own browser, but this can only be proved if other people try (with IE6).

Member #
    Thanks for the info... I'll see if I can get some other opinions.. Just hard to tell a guy it's his browser when you're designing it for him. Hard to keep em happy you know?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Just tested in IE6; I'm not seeing anything.

Member #
    Looks fine in FF on Mac and Safari.

Unrelated, to your issue, this is reminding me of a recent segment from The Daily Show... topic... Can there really be snakes on a plane?
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    @Shadowfiend: I thought you did not have Windows installed? How dyou test it on IE6 otherwise?

Anyway, back on topic, the horizontal scrollbar is there because of a bug in IE6 when it parses W3C's DTD for XHTML. I'm not sure whether this problem plagues the Frameset DTD as well but I know that Strict and Transitional had problems. Basically the method of removing this is:

Code:
    <style type="text/css">
    html,body {
    overflow: auto;
    }
    </style>
    I used it before, and it worked for me, but I was not using a page with frames at that time. You should really try making a layout without frames though, I think it's kind of backdated to still use Frames, and already W3C is thinking of exchanging Frames with <object>.
    Hyperair

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperair
    @Shadowfiend: I thought you did not have Windows installed? How dyou test it on IE6 otherwise?
    Well, I actually do have Windows installed, I just never reboot into it. The answer to your question, though, is IEs 4 Linux.

Member #
    That's a cool piece of application there. Will it work for IE7 I wonder?
    Hyperair

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Depends on whether (1) IE7 runs on Wine and (2) someone updates the script :-)

EDIT: From the FAQs:
    What about IE7?

I think we will have to wait a very long time to see IE7 running on Wine. That is because it is designed for Windows XP and Wine does not have a good XP support right now. Let’s wait… and if it becomes possible, sure IEs4Linux will support it!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You could always use VMware to run IE inside of Linux. In fact, I'd prefer that over using Wine so you're sure to get a true Windows environment for testing.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads