Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello, I have a client who is an artist, and she wants me to program her website so when people try to print her images from her site, the image will print extremely pixelated. Is there a program that allows me to achieve this?
    Also, if someone tries to copy the images from her site, is there a way to make the copied image to have a watermark on it?? She does not want a watermark on the image when you view it online.
    I'll GREATLY appreciate any help you can give. Thanks!

Member #
    theres noway of keeping images totally safe, i know that if you use firfox you can just download a page, it saves all the files from that page... so watermarking could help. But i do not know any image pixelising scripts sorry.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    With PHP GD Library or Perl Imagemagick, you can actually overlay a watermark
    onto the image on-the-fly. It's a server-side function you would use, therefore,
    you need to know PHP or Perl ... or hire a programmer to do that for you.

That watermark becomes a permanent part of the image that is downloaded to
    the browser (cache), but the original image (on the server) is not affected. That
    would allow a "paying" customer to access the original instead of the "watermarked".

Varying degrees of watermark methods can be used. It's very flexible.

This search has several examples and some free PHP snippets to play with:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ly&btnG=Search

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It's actually something like 10 lines of code to do with PHP and the GD library. Simply make a properly alpha-blended PNG image (i.e., with variable transparency) for your watermark, then use the GD library to copy the watermark PNG image onto your other image on the fly.

It won't stop people from just cropping or otherwise removing your watermark, though.

You can use a CSS style sheet with a print media attribute that can override some images, even pixellated if you're using IE. However, it's far from a sure thing to work for everybody. There's just not much you can do as simpleurl said.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Wooo I didn't know that Imagemagick could do that. Cool!
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Imagemagick can do everything but end world hunger from what I've heard. PHP's GD library can do it too, and it's more common on most servers.

I have been meaning to play with Imagemagick though given how everybody raves about it.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Remove Ads