Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I had some need for markup for an interview layout. Big deal -- you make the question div bold -- done. Somehow this seems a little discouraging from the type of people who brought us CSS Zen garden.

Maybe you're interviewing two people? How to you keep who's answering what straight visually? What about an nice CSS bank of a dozen or a hundred different examples of different markup techiques introducing the author with a nice blurb? Or maybe some interesting way to have the question and answer divs visually grouped together. Or a sidebar with some interesting point or book brief. You know ...layout. ...of content. ....for actual application.

So if you find a nice repository which offers a bunch of different ideas for layout of the interview, post them here. And if you were looking for a way to do some interesting markup, maybe this would work for you. Just a thought.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Are you requesting help with an interview type layout for a site, or are you simply trying to get everybody to "excersise our minds"?

I do not know of any sort of repository that would cater to this specific layout scheme but I can see the problem you are concerned with. Most, if not all, layout schemes I have seen that invlove some sort of interview interaction are in your basic format such as below..

HTML Code:
    <div>
      <h3>question</h3>
      response
    </div>
    Of course you should put some though of what your perticular needs are such as if you have more than one interviewee or it is a collection of responses from an array of interviewers. Good visual formatting may be essential to create a layout for these more complex situations.

Member #
    imply trying to get everybody to "excersise our minds"?
    More exercise. I can figure out "a" layout for myself, but it would be more interesting to see how five or twenty-five others might come up with unusual things I never considered. It would seem to be a better way to develop "content driven" layouts.

And if you're doing the 347th rounded corners hack, it seemed like an alternative -- if you're doing CSS tutorials. Interviews hardly being exotic, it actually seemed weird there weren't 20 sites with 200 examples. No wonder book author sites are awful.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I actually bought The Zen of CSS Design by the creators of the CSS Zen Garden (http://www.csszengarden.com/) for this very reason: inspiration and to find new and unique way of laying out sites. Part of its concepts went into this most recent design of WDF, actually.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Part of its concepts went into this most recent design of WDF
    And it has exactly how many ideas for interviews? ....Or recipes?? ....Poetry? ....Resumes? .....a real estate listing with a floorplan?

Should I really fill up fifteen screens with this?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think you're missing the part where it isn't the specifics that matter, it's the thought process. Read this, it might help :-)

Member #
    It is worth considering. And so is Jeffrey Zeldman...
    …Many sites submitted had no concern for the user on the most basic levels. Rarely could you identify an idea or purpose behind the site, or name a possible user goal the site was intended to facilitate. There was no flow, no legibility, no usability. It wasn’t so much that the designers had contempt for their users as that they seemed never to have been taught to think about users at all.

Jeffrey Zeldman; The rebooter’s children go rebootless; 23 June 2005
    Also worth considering is the legion of examples of sites for evaluation which have zero or almost no content. Then there are the sites which are driven almost exclusively by the need to gain experience in, in this instance, CSS tricks without context. In other words, I think a whole whopping lot of people are missing the part where users matter.

If this were a post about overlapping tabs, this thread would be fifteen times as long as it is, every other poster with their own minor variation, "mine's more semantically correct than yours," and six of those pages would be on Digg by now.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Innovation does not come from the masses it comes from the few with the itch to make a change. Then the masses take that change and wrap it, package it, and eventually toss it in the bargin bin. Personally I would love to see each person who calls themself a designer to always be orgional, to always come up with something fresh and exciting. But realisticly it is far easier to copy, and it pays just as well.

Its the same thing if you were a bartender. The owner of the bar wants you to sell expensive drinks because he will make more money, but you know doing so will cause your patrons to spend money they would have otherwise used for your tip. Afterall, you get no salery from him so why do as he asks? You have no motivation to do so.

The same applies here if your needs are met more effecently by copying that is what you are going to do, unless you market your brand as innovative and charge a premium for it.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Some of the most innovated concepts I have seen have been on personal sites/blogs. This is because projects of this nature are more fuled for self fulfilment and not for a basic need.

Member #
    Since when is basic user focus "innovative?" Nothing I proposed is ambitious or innovative. Nothing Zeldman mentioned is innovative.

So why has it taken so long for Web development standards to become a reality? Why have Web front-end developers ignored them for so long?
    -- The Dollars and Sense of Building to Standards
    If I'm a bartender, I have a bunch of glassware in front of me -- all upside down. If I fail to turn the glasses rightside up before I fill them, and the liguid goes everywhere but inside the glass, you fire me. I'm not doing the bare minimum required for me to do my job.

Having a purpose for technology -- and we're not really talking about much more than purpose -- is not a "frill." Zeldman was pushing standards, and web designers (at that time) kicked and fussed and ....years later realized they should have been designing with standards from day one.

I'm not talking about anything different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads