Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey all!!

It seems that while even though Firefox is considered a standards browser, there still is some quirkyness to it. Maybe its just poor technique on my part, but I really don't think so. The problem seems to occur when using floats and margins. Look at this page on Firefox to see what I mean...

http://www.prudentialct.com/newhomes...brook_home.asp

IE renders this with its correct border. I haven't tried it on any other browsers just because I haven't had time to install them while working. Is this just bad technique on my part or an error on the browsers end?
    Christopher Carvache
    Web Developer / SEO
    Northeast Web Design
    +1.860.906.7802

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    You need to clear the float - Clearing floats
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by karinne
    You need to clear the float - Clearing floats
    Dood thanks for attempt, but I wish that you looked at my code before telling me that. There are a few floats in there that aren't cleared because the layout would change and would be all screwed up. Try it you'll see what I mean. In that page I have 5 div containers nested in the main container div. The article you gave me wouldn't work in theory either because putting a width of 100% makes the container div as big as the width of the users browser. I need to have the page centered.

I probably do have something wrong on the floats side but where? And why is it wrong? The combination of floats and clearing only specific ones that I used seemed to be the only way that I could get all the divs to line up properly and I toyed with it for a good hour. Any other suggestions?
    Christopher Carvache
    Web Developer / SEO
    Northeast Web Design
    +1.860.906.7802

Member #
    Karinne isn't a dude.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Dont float the footer, and take the <p> tag off from around footer.gif

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    you have to be careful with having so many rules applied to a single element such as positioning, float, and clear all being applied to a single element. Some just do not mix. For instance when you float an elemnt, you are effectivly removing it from the normal document flow so therefore it cannot be used to clear another float. Positioning also alters an elements flow in a document so when you try to mix all these into a single element things go haywire, and dont behave the way you think they should. You still have alot of elements that have floats and positioning appled to the same elemnt and most I dont see why.

Member #
    Thanks for the advice. I've seemed to have fixed the problem. What seems to have happened is that I floated all 3 middle divs and didn't clear any of them. I removed the float on the footer (and header). For some strange reason when after removing float from the footer div, the footer image would disappear when rendered in IE and remain in Firefox. However in Firefox none of the links would work. How to solve this problem? Since all the middle divs are floated to the left the footer div needs to clear the left but not be floated.

As far as why I used positioning combined with floats? This is because 2 of the floats contain child divs that use absolute positioning. If I didn't specify that the parent floats use relative positioning, their children divs would base their location from the 'grandparent' element, in this case being the container div. Thanks for the sugestions and advice!!
    Christopher Carvache
    Web Developer / SEO
    Northeast Web Design
    +1.860.906.7802

Remove Ads