Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I just went to browsershots.org to see how my site appears in smaller browser resolution sizes and in MSIE 5.5 and lower the large adsense square, usually on the right of my pages, is pushed down below the video player. Apparently, this only happens in smaller screen resolutions using IE 5.5 or lower and not 6.0 or higher.

Here are some screenshots of what I'm talking about:

screen shots

And here is my site: my site

Without resorting to tables or non-standardized coding, is there anything I can do to fix this?

I know IE 5.5 isn't used by many people anymore but this is bugging the hell out of me...

Member #
    can't try and test any of this code so i don't know if it will be any help but have you tried putting this into the div?

Code:
    white-space:nowrap

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Karloff
    can't try and test any of this code so i don't know if it will be any help but have you tried putting this into the div?

Code:
    white-space:nowrap
    It's very possible it could be something as simple as that as I am not formally schooled in web design. I'll give it a try and post the results tomorrow. Thanks!

Great name for Halloween, btw! :-)

Member #
    the name ain't just for halloween, but it does suit

i look forward to hearing if that'll work

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    well, I got the screen shot results sooner than expected and the no wrap command didn't work for IE 5.5 and lower:

you can see the results here ... element is still displaying below video player

The no wrap command also seems to have effected that elements display in the latest version of mozilla. If you have mozilla, check out my site:

my site now

Does anyone recommend I now remove the no wrap commend or is there something more I can add to fix this?

Member #
    There's always the option of a browser check and feeding a different style sheet to fix it up.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    There's always the option of a browser check and feeding a different style sheet to fix it up.
    well, I have been tinkering with certain style sheet parameters ... do you mean a complete overhaul of the style sheet? I don't know...I'd rather just fix what's wrong with the one I have already...

what do you mean by "browser check"? I have been getting free screen shot of my page in different browsers from browsershots.org ...it's a pretty neat site if you don't have access to multiple computers...

Member #
    By "browser check" I mean a script or function to detect which browser the user is using. If it is one of these late-model IEs, you can import or link (whatever you do) a different style sheet. In regards to your second style sheet, just copy the one you currently have, rename it, and fiddle with the styles that don't work in the older versions.
    Shani

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    By "browser check" I mean a script or function to detect which browser the user is using. If it is one of these late-model IEs, you can import or link (whatever you do) a different style sheet. In regards to your second style sheet, just copy the one you currently have, rename it, and fiddle with the styles that don't work in the older versions.
    Are you saying that even the best coded websites might still have display problems in IE 5.5 and lower and it might not necessarily be something wrong with my code?

Member #
    Yes.

Don't forget why IE is coming out with version 7... because no other version properly renders CSS (among other things).
    Shani

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads