Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I hope this is in the right place. I was just wondering if I could have some recommendations on the best way to learn web design- HTML. For example any books that would be good? I am easily self-taught, but really don't know much about design. I have been searching around for some books, but most seem to be old ( 1998-1999). Not sure if the same rules apply or not.
    My experience is I HAVE "designed" some web sites and run a few. However, I have been limited to WYSIWYG and copy&paste provided code,etc. I have been pretty successful at web marketing and SEO ( for someone with no design skills, anyway) but the quality of my sites has been hurting me IMO. I know how to get visitors, but I want to make sure the sites my visitors see are programmed correctly, look good,etc. I would also prefer to learn to do this myself.
    Any pointing in the right/starting direction is appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Books

- see the recommended books from Roger Johansson ... pretty much all the books in there are good to have.

Sites

- CSS tags on my delicious links
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Thank you.

Member #
    Everyone is different. You may learn more/better/faster by picking up a book. Or taking a class at a local college/trade school.
    Or you can visit many of the sites on the internet to learn HTML (and other coding).
    If you are looking at the local book stores (new books) you should be able to find some more recent coding books.
    Amazon is a good place as well.

I have liked taking classes in the past, but once you get to a point where you have down the basics, then books always help me.
    Starting out it is always nice to see a visual/real-life use. However, you say you have some experience........maybe books are the way to go.
    Barnes & Noble, Borders, & Amazon are big in my area (Seattle)........so that is where I'd recommend you start.
    Good luck......
    GMan

Member #
    There are tutorials here, and you can do a search here on the site for HTML or CSS and find a ton of links to check out.

Another way to learn, that has been mentioned several times by different members here, is to take a site that you like, and copy the page source (and CSS, if a separate file) and play around with them in your HTML editor to see what changes.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    i would agree with what ppl said about copying a site. but another good idea is to get a few books and then try develop a personal site... adding new techniques and re-vamping it (or having multible versions) as you learn.

ddon't get too stuck into the book, get out there and smell the code

you might also want to check my del.icio.us links (see ma signature)

best of luck

Member #
    It's always best to try a variety of different techniques, books are good but are somewhat limited, the internet has a lot of good tutorials (google is your friend, as they say), as planetgman said - everybody is different, i learned (CSS) by taking a model piece of css and tinkering with it until i had a good enough grasp to make my own codes etc.

Member #
    Hi,
    I think there are some pretty good online tutorials about HTML and CSS. Check out http://www.w3schools.com/html/ and http://www.w3schools.com/css/.
    Hope this helps.
    ----------------------------
    [url=http://www.phoenixwebdesign.at]phoenix[/url]

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by noobstartingout
    I hope this is in the right place. I was just wondering if I could have some recommendations on the best way to learn web design- HTML. For example any books that would be good? I am easily self-taught, but really don't know much about design. I have been searching around for some books, but most seem to be old ( 1998-1999). Not sure if the same rules apply or not.
    My experience is I HAVE "designed" some web sites and run a few. However, I have been limited to WYSIWYG and copy&paste provided code,etc. I have been pretty successful at web marketing and SEO ( for someone with no design skills, anyway) but the quality of my sites has been hurting me IMO. I know how to get visitors, but I want to make sure the sites my visitors see are programmed correctly, look good,etc. I would also prefer to learn to do this myself.
    Any pointing in the right/starting direction is appreciated.
    i like www.w3schools.com my self
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Member #
    I got on better just tinkering with valid css and seeing what i could make, as i said before

Remove Ads