Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    OK, I recently got this job to just update this site (http://piquaareachamber.com) and I was just wondering if there was a faster way to add new links to the navigation. I how to do it with PHP but im not getting paid to do it in php, just to update the site. on the server there is a folder called library and in it, it has 4 LBI files. Foot, head, nav_company, and nav_vertical. I tried adding the new link codes to the nav_vertical file but nothing happened.

appreciate any input. thanks

Here is the code one of the pages.

attached so POS IE stops breaking the index page

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Well,

If someone was paying me to update the site and I knew PHP, and I knew
    that PHP would be faster ... I would use PHP to do the job. OK, so they're not
    paying you to use PHP? Then, do it all manually and take longer, do more work, etc.
    (see what I mean)?

Are they interested in the "final results", or how you accomplished them?

So perhaps you're worrried that they might take your scripts, use them in the future,
    and not hire you back? Then, code the scripts in such a way that only you can
    figure out how to make them work. Get the job done quickly and move on.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, that `library item' stuff is going to be something that's going to need an external program to knit together the files again, sort of like recompiling the website. What a nasty way to do it :-P

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim
    Well,

If someone was paying me to update the site and I knew PHP, and I knew
    that PHP would be faster ... I would use PHP to do the job. OK, so they're not
    paying you to use PHP? Then, do it all manually and take longer, do more work, etc.
    (see what I mean)?

Are they interested in the "final results", or how you accomplished them?

So perhaps you're worrried that they might take your scripts, use them in the future,
    and not hire you back? Then, code the scripts in such a way that only you can
    figure out how to make them work. Get the job done quickly and move on.
    yeah, she said that after i do the important updates to the site, that she was going to talk to me about just doing a whole redesign of the site. I figured i would do the PHP then. It would actually take me longer to do it php cause i would have to go through and insert the includes and since i would have to open every page anyway might as well just copy and paste the new link in. plus im almost finished now anyway, i was wanting to know if there was faster way to do it with the current code, cause it kinda looked like it could be done.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by fromtheinside
    yeah, she said that after i do the important updates to the site, that she was going to talk to me about just doing a whole redesign of the site. I figured i would do the PHP then. It would actually take me longer to do it php cause i would have to go through and insert the includes and since i would have to open every page anyway might as well just copy and paste the new link in. plus im almost finished now anyway, i was wanting to know if there was faster way to do it with the current code, cause it kinda looked like it could be done.
    personally i would convert it to php it may take the same amount of time this time but you save time in the long run for the next poor sap (which may be you) that has to update the site
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Member #
    I figured out how it works, i was made with dreamweaver. there is two files in a folder called Library and the nav_vertical.lbi, and untitled.lbi are the files used to update the navigation. you update the nav_vertical.lbi and it automatically updates the untitled.lbi file and then just save them. It's kinda weird to explain but effective how it worked, and alot quicker than doing it page by page.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You lucked out on that one!

I pity the next updater that doesn't have Dreamweaver.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim
    You lucked out on that one!

I pity the next updater that doesn't have Dreamweaver.
    as do I
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Member #
    Yeah well, I got a meeting with her in a couple of days, im going to follow up with her about what she said about having me redesign the whole thing after I finish this, if so im definatley doing it in PHP.

BRV
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by fromtheinside
    OK, I recently got this job to just update this site (http://piquaareachamber.com) and I was just wondering if there was a faster way to add new links to the navigation. I how to do it with PHP but im not getting paid to do it in php, just to update the site. on the server there is a folder called library and in it, it has 4 LBI files. Foot, head, nav_company, and nav_vertical. I tried adding the new link codes to the nav_vertical file but nothing happened.

appreciate any input. thanks

Here is the code one of the pages.

attached so POS IE stops breaking the index page

What you are seeing is library / template setup implemented by a program called dreamweaver by Adobe (formerly macromedia). Download the trial version from adobe.com. Learn how library items work and import the site. DW is very user friendly and adobe offers support forums for Dreamweaver where you can get help. Once you figure this much out, if you don't want to buy DW, then learn how to use Server Side Includes, save the library items as .html files and replace the code in the library items with the <--#include--> tag

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads