Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi,
    I'm working on my first ever CSS-only site right now so I may have a lot of questions coming up. B/c everything that SEEMS like it should logically work doesn't. Argh!
    I actually tried to do a site in CSS a while ago but got frustrated because I realized I could do it in HTML in like 5 minutes, while the CSS site was taking HOURS and I was getting nowhere with it. Anyways... Sorry for going off on a tangent :cross-eyed:
    So I have a containing div with 2 divs in it - one is float left, and one is float right.
    I want the float right div to be aligned to the bottom of the containing div. How can I do that?
    PS: In tables this would be SO EASY :dead:
    Thanks,
    Heather
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Heather ...

(seeing your other posts) ...

I know what you mean about CSS and it's frustrating sometimes.

But, when it all clicks and the "light-bulb" stays on, you'll see what
    everyone is talking about. <tables> are good for tabular data, but
    not for layout web pages.

There will be changes to CSS standards in the future, so learning it now
    and dealing with some "down-fall" issues will benefit you in the future.

Give us a link to your page and we'll see what you've done so far.

There are some tricks that might come in handy.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    This sounds like it would be fixed with fair ease with a vertical-align property, but vertical-align only works in certain places, unfortunately...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    This sounds like it would be fixed with fair ease with a vertical-align property, but vertical-align only works in certain places, unfortunately...
    Oh yeah - I just talked to my friend today and he said that I could use display: table so that I could use vertical-align... Haven't tried it yet though...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    HAH! I think your friend hasn't tried his solution in IE... Last I checked, IE supports none of the table values for display -- and that includes IE7.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I know, I realized that too when I tried to do it :P
    But I did end up coming up w/ a solution - I have a wrapper div with the main background in it and then a div inside THAT with it's background image as the image that I needed to align to the right and bottom.
    I think Filburt or someone originally suggested background images too, but I was thinking that I already had a background image and so I couldn't have another one, but I hadn't thought of having nested divs.
    BUT, now I can't figure out why there's a space underneath the inside div (the one w/ the right-bottom image as a background) in FIREFOX, and in IE, the background image of the wrapper cell doesn't show through.
    ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://client.acropolisinc.com/dixiemeetings/index.html

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well okay, THIS IS WEIRD.
    There was a space after the inner div, in Firefox. After searching the web for the problem, I found one website where someone had a similar problem to mine. Well they said that by default, the properties margin-top and margin-bottom in Firefox for the p tag have the value 1em, and they told the person "the margins collapse when two p's follow each other, but the last one will produce the '1em gap' to your footer-img."
    So I defined a p-tag to have no margin, and the space went away!
    But it's just totally bizarre because I didn't have a p tag after the inner div, or anything so I don't see how that could have affected anything. Crazy css....

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberryh
    but I hadn't thought of having nested divs.
    I'm only a beginner so never really got into tables that much, but I usually find nested divs are a solution to quite a lot of quirks in one form or another lol.
    CSS - I do find it kind of quirky sometimes however I find you get to know them over time. It more than makes up for it in the "alter all your pages at a time" thing but yes I think there's a few obvious things that are missing from it or require strange hacks - in time hopefully it'll become a bit more "logical" I suppose.
    BTW I had a sneak at your portfolio - excellent stuff, kinda makes me feel like giving up lol. How long have you been coding and designing for?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferro
    BTW I had a sneak at your portfolio - excellent stuff, kinda makes me feel like giving up lol. How long have you been coding and designing for?
    Don't give up. We all have to start somewhere.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferro
    Oh thanks! Sorry I just saw this now! aranoid:
    Well I started doing websites in community college, and that was about maybe 5 years ago. Then I started programming when I came to UCF (because I went into the computer science program) and that was about 4 years ago...
    I was actually really, really bad in the beginning, but then I would always look at other websites and see what I liked about them, and try to implement those things into my sites. And I had to force myself to notice things like white space and how stuff lined up. Then eventually it just became habit
    Don't be discouraged. You'll probably be better than me eventually It's true. I see some people that are just so amazing that I know I'll never be as good as them. Like people who went to art school and stuff. But then you just gotta realize, sites don't have to be THAT amazing, they just have to be really good

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads