Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    i need to build an ecommerce site for my body jewelry business and i'm wondering what program(s) to use. i've been reading in various forums that most people hate frontpage and prefer dreamweaver or note pad. i'm just now researching html, so i'm a total beginner.

i've read that frontpage adds a lot of redundant tags. what's wrong with this? does it take the site longer to load or what? can i just use frontpage (i already have it and don't want to buy something else unless i really need to) and edit out the extra stuff (once i learn what that extra stuff is)?

basically, i'll have text, pictures, links, a shopping cart, and an auto-responder. thanks for any input, Reuben

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Frontpage has a reputation for writing crap code and code that usually displays better in IE. Dreamweaver generates much better code.

Anybody who thinks Notepad is the best editor ever is not a good programmer, period. Notepad can't even auto-indent. Programs like Dreamweaver are designed to make universally compliant code. You should start by knowing HTML, though, and not relying on the WYSIWYG features.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    At one point, I almost based my site on being notepad-only... :-[
    - Brian

Member #
    Anybody who thinks Notepad is the best editor ever is not a good programmer, period. Notepad can't even auto-indent. Programs like Dreamweaver are designed to make universally compliant code. You should start by knowing HTML, though, and not relying on the WYSIWYG features.
    Yes, notepad is very bad... Which is why I use VIM :-D

But when editing php, it's easier to use Dreamweaver, because it shows line numbers inside the code, plus when installing hacks for vbulletin and such, when you do a ctrl+f in notepad, it will only give you one line to search. As with dreamweaver, you're going to be able to paste the entire block of code that you're searching for.

Member #
    I use HTML-Kit
    (Has many standard html codes to help you understand and learn HTML easier.
    - Webmaster's Planet . Greek Vortal For Webmasters ...
    - MyPortFolio - View My Creations

JR
    Member #
    dreamweaver is the daddy
    JR

Member #
    Yea, i use dreamweaver nowadays, but i started by using notepad. I tryed frontpage for a while, it didn't really hit it off with me. Dreamweaver i think makes a much neater code.
    If there is no god, then who pops up the next Kleenex?

Member #
    I started with Frontpage but now use Dreamweaver. Frontpage can't do CSS and people here make a big deal over using it. Newer versions of Dreamweaver MX on, can do CSS. That said, because I preferred Dreamweaver so much, the last version of Frontpage I have is Frontpage 2002.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by akr44
    i need to build an ecommerce site for my body jewelry business and i'm wondering what program(s) to use. i've been reading in various forums that most people hate frontpage and prefer dreamweaver or note pad. i'm just now researching html, so i'm a total beginner.

i've read that frontpage adds a lot of redundant tags. what's wrong with this? does it take the site longer to load or what? can i just use frontpage (i already have it and don't want to buy something else unless i really need to) and edit out the extra stuff (once i learn what that extra stuff is)?

basically, i'll have text, pictures, links, a shopping cart, and an auto-responder. thanks for any input, Reuben
    frontpage = propitary markup
    dreamweaver = slow, but can be compliant and is modern
    notepad = only if you know html a markup highlighting editor is preferable
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Holy smokes ... this is a 4 year old thread brought back from the dead ... is that a record? :laugh:
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads