Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Does anyone know how I can embed the video below into an rss feed and have the output display the video player?

Code:
    <embed 
    FlashVars='config=http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/xml/data_synd.jhtml?vid=78731%26myspace=false' 
    src='http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/syndicated_player/index.jhtml' 
    quality='high' bgcolor='#006699' width='340' height='325' name='comedy_player' 
    align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' 
    pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'>
    </embed>
    I'm trying to place the video on multiple pages using rss and then, when I swap the video on the rss page, it will change on all pages. That way I don't have to replace the video on all pages one at a time.
    Thank you.

Member #
    I'm not really familiar enough to know how to do that with RSS. What you can do, however, is similar. Depending on what you have available to your site, you can do this using a php variable which is set by an included file, or you can just have a flat text file and read that variable in. I can give you code for a few methods but I'll need to know the method you want to use to embed it. Your sample code doesn't look like it is pulling in a video file.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Wilson
    I'm not really familiar enough to know how to do that with RSS. What you can do, however, is similar. Depending on what you have available to your site, you can do this using a php variable which is set by an included file, or you can just have a flat text file and read that variable in. I can give you code for a few methods but I'll need to know the method you want to use to embed it. Your sample code doesn't look like it is pulling in a video file.
    The thing is I'm able to do it with YouTube videos and I do it by linking directly to the video off the page it's on...like so http://www.youtube.com/v/soyELO90E1I ...(I can always tell if I have the right link because the player appears big in my browser)...

I do this by taking the embed code available on YouTube and copying a link like the one above and pasting it into two places in my rss feed...it's very easy...but the Comedy Central embed codes are slightly different and are throwing me off...I don't know where to find the video away from the CC page it's displayed on or even if there is such a page to be found ...

Member #
    Well, it's possible Comedy Central doesn't want the videos to be republisehd. I know it gets done a lot, but it is in your best interests to make sure you're allowed to re-link. You Tube is user-based but Comedy Central may be a bit picky about copyright issues.

Do you know if your host supports PHP or any other scripting languages. I think that'd be the easiest way for you to do it but you may end up having to rename your page with the .php extension.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well, it's possible Comedy Central doesn't want the videos to be republisehd. I know it gets done a lot, but it is in your best interests to make sure you're allowed to re-link. You Tube is user-based but Comedy Central may be a bit picky about copyright issues.

Do you know if your host supports PHP or any other scripting languages. I think that'd be the easiest way for you to do it but you may end up having to rename your page with the .php extension.
    My pages are in php. And comedy central does allow embedding now. I'm just trying to make it easier on myself by using a .xml page so I don't have to manually embed the same video on all my pages. You see I like to put a video of the day at the top of all my pages.

Member #
    Hi,

To make your video code to be standard you need to apply .dwt files using

Dreamweaver in your Coding then you can place the code so that the codes will not

change and it will remain constant if you dont know then ask about .dwt files to your

programmer they will have an idea about this and i am sure then can resolve this

issue.................................

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by duck444
    My pages are in php. And comedy central does allow embedding now. I'm just trying to make it easier on myself by using a .xml page so I don't have to manually embed the same video on all my pages. You see I like to put a video of the day at the top of all my pages.
    Hey Duck, sorry I haven't posted a response yet. Life got hectic and I haven't had a chance to set up the code. If you want to take a crack at it, look at the PHP.net XML reference. What you will need to do is set up an XML file and have your PHP code go and get the contents and write it into the page using an inline variable.

If I get some time I will put it all together. Your best bet is to go ahead and try it for yourself. If you get stuck though send me a PM and I'll try to give some guidance.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You can also use the domxml (PHP 4 only) or dom (PHP 5 only) libraries. I find they're easier to use to both create and walk through XML, especially the DOM library.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Been very busy at work lately...I'll try out your suggestions as soon as I can...Thanks everyone!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hey Duck, sorry I haven't posted a response yet. Life got hectic and I haven't had a chance to set up the code. If you want to take a crack at it, look at the PHP.net XML reference. What you will need to do is set up an XML file and have your PHP code go and get the contents and write it into the page using an inline variable.

If I get some time I will put it all together. Your best bet is to go ahead and try it for yourself. If you get stuck though send me a PM and I'll try to give some guidance.
    Finally had a look at the above link. That looks quite complicated for what I'm trying to do. Not sure about using it...it would probably take awhile to figure out.

Remove Ads