Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I've been working on a new blogging and content management system called Simplie, which isn't for the everyday blogger (they should use Wordpress) but, Simplie is for making the web designers life easier.

Anyway, I am at the RSS stage of development, right now my site (which doesn't have RSS alternates yet) definitely needs RSS. Which brings me to a few ideas for it.

Right now, for instance, to tag an Item (Simplie is made of Items or Files on the server), you would have to create a onclick or ondbclick or something, and if you were logged in, it would use javascript to ask you what tag to add. You'd type it, and it would add it to your site, from your site, no back ends (the idea of Simplie).

Now, I could either have RSS mirror the Items content:
    This would mean that the RSS file would get all Items, strip HTML from the Items content, and put it into a description tag, and have all the content- no need to go to your site, it's all right there. I noticed when I reading Dave Shea's mezzoblue, I end up going to the site to see more, because I know I want to see the site in all it's beauty. Or, what if he changed something?! I'd hate to be missing out.

OR add another dblclick handler to add an RSS excerpt to the Item you want.
    I like this idea more, just because this lets you tell the subscriber that your site has something new on it, and this is what it's about- common over and check it out! And, it lets you choose which posts are relevant, and which ones are not (say humorous posts, when your site has to do with CSS). Might give you some freedom to post off subject. Although, this would add an extra (still easy) step to posting an RSS excerpt of each post you wanted. It could even be the content using copy and paste, if you wanted.

Which would you prefer?

P.S. If you would like, you can comment on this post, if you'd like, where I hope another discussion will start.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    For tagging, Ajax will be a cleaner solution that a lot of Javascript (yes, kind of the same thing, but a better framework).

I would just have it provide the same content as in your blog (you can even leave in the HTML) and have it automatically generated...although I'm missing something. Are you trying to make feeds of specific tags, or the entire site?
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    The feed (the way I would like it) would be different from normal feeds.

Conventional (usual) feeds just put the content of a post in the RSS feed, and you read it all there.

The idea I had was that the feed would compliment an Item (if you chose), and basically ask you to goto the page to read more. You would publish a blurb about a post using javascript handler on your site. Ie. you would doubleclick on the paragraph body (if you are logged in) and it would ask you for a brief blurb about the post and publish that to your feed. That way, you get to pick and choose what posts are important for subscribers).

But it has nothing to do with the tagging. Tagging is done the same way with the Simplie system, it tags a Post. This would publish a blurb about the post to the subscription feed.

Or- should I just do it like normal, and publish the body of each Post automatically?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I would publish it the conventional way. Your idea may be innovative, but like many innovative and potentially useful ideas, it may contradict how users naturally interact with a system, and therefore may not understand it or may misinterpret it.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    MMM Good Point... But is it really that confusing?

Let's look at what the RSS might say.....

Something really great! (Same title as post's title.)
    Something really great like cheese is green just happened!
    Click here to read more...

I'd click it?

Member #
    After experiencing some time-related issues, and deciding all my stories were important, I went with the automated, encoded XML, so I could give each page it's on subscription and other no subscription. :ninja:

Remove Ads