Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all,

Having some problems with my new design. I'm trying to go for another 'tableless' design (although it's a bit pointless as vBulletin and photopost both make great use of tables....)

Here's the site:

http://www.goxplore.net?styleid=2

To get a good idea of what i'm going on about, it's probably best to log in... i've set up a test account - username: wdftestaccount password: pie

Typically, it works fine in Opera and Firefox, and even on my Nokia, but IE doesn't like it very much at all. There are two main problems with it...
    • [IE6/7] the welcome panel doesn't align correctly. I've tried everything I can think of - because there are three columns, i have floated one left, one right, and tried to get the other one to sit between the two, but it doesn't seem to be doing it very well. The two floated (left and right) sections are too high, and the central block is too low and over to the right...
    • [IE6] there is a small (1px) gap between the tabs and the blue bar. The only way i found to fix it was to position it at -1px instead of 0px, but then you get a 1px overlap in all the other browsers....
    Please help!!!! I'm sure it's probably something simple but this is my last grasp at help before i scrap the lot and make it with tables again... heh :ermm:

Thanks very much in advance,

Ollie
    Hardly the sharpest thing in the drawer.
    Design | Life | Outdoors | Ryukin Radio

Member #
    With second problem you can add an IE style.. To do this you just add a _ before the statement. So _margin-top:-1px; This will only affect internet explorer. While its not the most ideal way of fixing it this can really help get around IE6 and its problems with CSS

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    It looks like you might have fixed it? I don't see the problem now.

Because you are generating your webpage with an editor: "vBulletin 3.6.4" ? you don't
    have much control over "white space" and random carriage returns in the HTML.

But, those things can cause 1 pixel alignment problems with IE. Just about every 1 pixel
    offset or space is caused by some unnecessary carriage return, tab, or an HTML
    property that's broken by a carriage return.

Perad's solution in your case, is probably the best thing you can try.

Not using a WYSIWYG solves most of the layout problems that occur
    between browsers. But, you use what you have and know ... so that's the
    way it is.

Member #
    vBulletin is the forum software, same as is in use here.. it's not a WYSIWIG editor of any sort...

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    oh yes, I see that now. It didn't register with me at first.

did you fix the problem, or is it not showing on my browser?

Member #
    Yeah, it's showing up ok in IE now, but it's still relying on a 'hack' to do so which is a shame.

Still having huge problems with the vertical centering of the 'welcome box' - i tried to fix it so it'd work in IE properly and now it looks naff in everything and I can't remember what I changed so I can't even revert it to how it was. I'm getting the hang of divs and floats now i think, it's just a case of working out how to vertically centre divs, especially as i want divider lines between them!

So tempted to just use a table and be done with it!

Member #
    Ended up giving up on vertical centering and cheated with a table - a bit of a shame but it was just too much bother!!!

Maybe next time!

Ollie

Remove Ads