Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello to all who view this thread on information on tables. After doing a site for a freind I hit problems that the webpage wasn't displaying the way I would like in either Mozilla and or IE.

After many frustrating hours on Dreamweaver8 I have found a way to display things how you would like (pictures attached). As you can see these look very similar and it is displaying as my freind wants it to, but how did I achieve this?

It may or may not be known to you that in Dreamweaver8 you can use an option called layout objects which allows you to control the layout of a page I know it sounds silly but it really does work. When you use the layout option for example I used Layer it gives you a box very much like the ones you get from creating a table in Dreamweaver which you can adjust to suit you and then just place the table(s) within this, also you can put another layer inside a layer and place it where you want to create a seperate table. I know that you could create the same effect just using the table within a table but I have found this unreliable and cannot give the results you expected.

Im sorry if there is already a thread on this I donot mean to copy an existing thread I am merly very happy that I can solve my layout issues and just wanted to pass on the information to other designers who may not be aware of this tool.

I don't have dreamweaver can I still make Layers?
    You can create layers in CSS and use the Div tag to set them for example:
    Code:
    /*Css Code*/
    #Layer1 {{position:absolute; width:888px; height:400px; z-index:1; left: 13px; top: 14px}
    Then all you do is use the div tag with the id set to what you just called the layer for example.
    HTML Code:
    <div id="Layer1">
    <!-- Put your html code in between these div tags -->
    </div>
    Always make sure that you have either linked to the CSS or that the CSS is at the top I usually put my CSS in between the head tags.
    Please also note by using this method you will not see the layers I strongly suggest that you make the table the same length as the layer makes coding it easier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    I don't get it, what is a "layer"?

Member #
    Essentially, a <div>, just called a layer by Dreamweaver.

If you are going to go this far, using CSS and "layers," why not just jump in and learn CSS, and leave tables for tabular data.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Remove Ads