Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey Guys, I am doing website for college students can learn how to cook. I have made a design already, using GMU colors (my school ) I have made different colors for different schools. How in the world would I load the page in a schools color? Like if some one from duke opened it, have it in white and blue. If some one from MIT opened it, have it in red and grey. If the server can't place it, just load it in mason colors. Get what I mean? A friend suggested IP numbers... but can that only do states? Thanks for reading! -Jonny

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I think a simple text file that lists as many colleges as you can find ...
    perhaps there's a database that has a list of college colors?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...rs&btnG=Search

Then, using PHP to look-up the college and change colors using a style sheet.

Now the hard part ... figuring out where they are from.

That information may come from the server name, if they are using a network
    at a college. If they are at a home with an ISP such as Comcast, well, you can't
    figure it out then. Or, you ask them to enter their college and use a cookie to
    remember it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah I think probably the best thing would be to ask them what school they're from and then store it as a cookie, as msleim suggested.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Ok good decision, I am going to be using php and mysql anyways, so with them registering I can even get their school colors. pretty sweet. Thank you both for your time!

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    hax ...

The switching colors part is easy using Javascripting along with a style sheet.

I would still get a list of school colors so you could "wow" them with knowing the
    colors when they pick their school from a select box. If their school wasn't on the
    list, then they would have to give the colors ... which would then be added to
    the list.

Member #
    I think it would look a lot more smooth if you do not ask for school colors. If someone registers from an unknown school, have it alert you and then look it up & add it in. Use the Mason colors as a default (someone else on this forum went to Mason!) or maybe something more subdued and middle of the line like a red+blue.

If universities have organized graphic designers, you can get the hex for their "official" school colors.

Also, in line with what msleim said earlier, most schools (and major corporations) have a standard IP from the school network, so you can use that as a default way of matching to the school, and only if it does not match, then ask for the school.

Something to think about if you have people registering, there should be an override of the automatic stuff. If I love your site, and I have saved some recipes, and I go visit my friend at Duke, I should still get my school branding once I log in to my account.

I hope I didn't ramble too much!
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You could try asking the facebook folks how they figure out which school you're from (they redirect you to the relevant subdomain before you log in, if I remember correctly). They might be willing to let you know.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    DCScene ...

Yea ... a friend at "Duke" ....

http://www.dukeschool.org/

[lol ... just kidding]

Remove Ads