Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey guys and gals,
    In a nut shell - When i apply a Height of 400px to each of my columns (contained within there own Divs) it works fine in IE but Firefox ignores them and only fills the columns backgorund to the content!
    Ive searched the forum and have not had much luck - as i dont think i can make each column as high as the one with most content - as they differ on certain pages. So i know that 400px for each will be sufficient but Firefox will not behave!
    I remeber from my CSS tutorials that there is a way around this but i cant remeber what it actually is i need to do! (i should really try and train my brain to remeber the solution and not just the fact that there is one!)
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks Edd.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    You're actually applying a height:400px to the columns and they don't work? That seems strange......perhaps if you haven't specified a width for them firefox isn't happy or something....

If they are flexible then isn't min-height:400px a way of doing it?

Hard to tell without your code and/or example.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah maybe you should try posting the code, or providing a link.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    You could try this ...

Put this on the columns that you need to fill (the shorter columns) ...

display: table; height: 100%;

This will fix the FireFox height problem. It's about as graceful as faux columns anyhow.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It's entirely possible you're floating your columns. If that's the case, then you'll have to use some other solution than setting an absolute height, since floated elements should not take a specific height, but rather expand to fit their contents, as per the CSS specification.

Member #
    Hello, thanks for your responses!
    I dont have my CSS code with me - ill try and post later!
    Ferro - i didnt realise that you could do this min height rule - i will have to have a play around with it!! i take it i just need to put min-height:400px in each appropriate CSS rule??
    Shadowfiend i am floating my columns due to CSS - Does this mean i can not specify the height?
    Max, sorry to be dumb but do i simply put that code in each coloumn <div> tag? If so ill give it a try and play around with it!
    Cheers,
    Edd.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes, floated columns mean any height definition will be discarded in standards-compliant browsers. mlseim's solution should be applied to every div whose height you want to specify, though I'm not a huge fan and would recommend you go for the Faux Columns solution (I'm not a fan of the previous one because it's using the [minicode]display: table[/minicode] property in a way that it rather wasn't meant to be used. But then, I'm not even sure if it'll work with floated divs. < shrug >.

Member #
    Floated columns? What do you mean by those? <div> with a css float attribute? I have tried before and it always worked for me when I included the height or width attribute.
    Hyperair

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, any element with a float attribute.

Actually, fixed heights may work (not near a testing computer right now, or I'd check). It's percentage heights that don't work for sure (in standards-compliant browsers -- not including IE).

In which case this problem might be more complex... Post some code so we can help more :-)

Member #
    Well there's always the option of using Javascript to handle that
    Hyperair

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads