Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm reworking an older site and wanted to do something different from what I've done before, so I decided to go with a 3 column layout. Problem is I may have gotten a little too ambitious as I have no idea exactly where to begin here.
    I've done a lot of research on this but I haven't found anything that's close to what I really want. Mostly, I've seen a lot of javascript and my js skills are intermediate at best. I'm not adverse to js, but I don't really want to roll around in it all day long.
    Anyhow, this is what I'm trying to accomplish: Left column and right column are the same width and height. Left column is the main navigation bar, right column is sort of a sub menu bar but needs to be able to be changed depending on what is in the content window. The middle of the page would contain the content area which would be a fixed scrollable cell.
    The problem is getting the navigation to work the way I want it. This is where I currently lack in skill. Essentially, the user clicks a link on the nav bar and that will change the content area and the right column as well, but I also want to be able to change the content cell by clicking a link in the right column. If it would make it any easier to understand I could post up a pic mock up.
    I'm not asking anybody to do anything for me, as it wouldn't do me any good since I couldn't learn anything that way, but if you guys could point me in the right direction I'd be much obliged. Are frames the most practical way to accomplish this layout? I can't use ssi's, the host doesn't support them so everything will have to be accomplished client-side.
    Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Ahhh, I see, you want the holy grail with a 50% discount. Tough deal, but you can make it.

The 3-collumn, 2 fixed layout is the "holy grail", because it's often hard to get cross-browser consistency. There are all sorts of methods, but... the complete method is descript here: http://www.glish.com/css/7.asp

And for the refreshing methods you want, if you're brave, use IFRAMEs. Use it only if you think all of your users have up-to-date browsers... but still, I don't suggest that. It makes it nearly impossible for anyone to bookmark your page, and it can make crawlers lost. So don't.

Rather, you can use very, very simple javascript. For full-site design like this, you need to use AJAX, which is hard if you're not sure of it. And AJAX can confuse crawlers too.

Soooo... just make them as different pages. Thats what I think. Why do you want fixed stuff like that? If its maintainence you want, use a server-side language. It can also take care of anything else you need....
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Thank you very much, Steax! That was very good info, I'll look into it. I can't use server side includes, though, as the host doesn't allow them, but that's not really a big problem.

One more question that would actually simplify this whole thing: Is there a sane way to load a new page into a table cell?

Member #
    Firstly, I hope you're not using that table for the layout. =P

And... yeah. A bit if very simple AJAX would suffice. Just use a request, and push it into a the innerHTML of the cell. But otherwise, iframes would work, if you're not afraid of crawler / bookmarking problems.

If you can't use SSI, does your host give a different Server-Side Language? If you're using a paid host then it MUST have some sort of language.

And no, other than Javascript or Frames, I don't see how you could work that out.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Steax nice link might be useful sometime, Azman your PAYIN for hosting and you dont get any server side languages i'd ditch them and find some1 else
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    Or if they don't allow SSI, they've got to allow some server-side language... all of which have some sort of method to do includes.

Member #
    Actually, I don't pay for hosting on the server where this particular site will be hosted. My normal webspace allows includes to an extent, but this one doesn't. Thanks again for the info. I'll post back once I figure the whole thing out.

Remove Ads