Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: yay css!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberryh
    OMG! I just found what you were talking about. COOL! I'm going to try that! Thanks!
    Yeah - I've been using that method for a while, an excellent method for sure. You just need to make it pixel accurate using grids etc. is all I've found. I think it beats all other methods for rollovers IMHO it is my favourite (for rollovers that utilise graphics anyway).

I call this the "fruit machine rollover" method - :cheeky: thank blimey for the "background-position" style, eh?

Nice mock up btw - it has your kind of signature to it. Show us when you put it online.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferro
    Nice mock up btw - it has your kind of signature to it. Show us when you put it online.
    Oh thanks, but if you're talking about the design, unfortunately I can't take credit for it (I WISH!!!)... The creative director where I work came up with it. He's amazing...
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Wow nice design
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun13
    Wow nice design
    I wanted feedback on the code not the design. I didn't do the design, I built it out.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Ooops sorry rasberry I was referring to the design so apologies for that (must've missed the "code wise not design wise" in brackets in your first post.d'oh).- however had a looked at the code, I'm no expert but it all looked very organised and clean to me. In fact I could learn a few tidier tricks from it so I'm having a look at it now. Mine looks slightly clumsy in comparison.
    Is it necessary out of interest to put the font style etc. for html, body and div at the same time? Or would they be passed down automatically? Personally I would've just done html or body, but that's probably me doing it wrong.
    The only thing you have to do is IMHO build those fruit machine reel type rollovers but that's more a graphics thing than coding thing. Just a quick bit of background-position to add and it's smooth! So naff all work for you , some work for the designer .
    I only found out about those a while ago, but use them all the time now - highly recommended.

Are you self taught css? Or is it a college thing?

Member #
    The image rollovers are the biggest thing. No need for spacer.gifs, yay! Also, is there a particular reason for the <span> tags?

The nav, everywhere, once you do the background image/rollovers, will look a lot cleaner:

<li><a href="#">Link</a></li> etc.

And, not sure what text you are using, but if you could make your navigation into simple text w/ background color changes and use the flower as a bg image, it would really reduce the loading times

Touching on Shadowfiend's post... Definitely use relative sizes, so people can easily change their browser settings. (Oh! We can call that another reason to go to text nav instead of the images!)
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Is it necessary out of interest to put the font style etc. for html, body and div at the same time? Or would they be passed down automatically? Personally I would've just done html or body, but that's probably me doing it wrong.
    Yeah you're probably right. I will fix that.
    The only thing you have to do is IMHO build those fruit machine reel type rollovers but that's more a graphics thing than coding thing.
    Yeah I did add that! (I haven't uploaded the new version yet though)
    Are you self taught css? Or is it a college thing?
    Self-taught... When I took web design at college, they actually taught us table-based layouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    The image rollovers are the biggest thing. No need for spacer.gifs, yay!
    Yeah I realized that yesterday, so I changed it (also the spans). But I haven't uploaded the new version yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by DCScene
    And, not sure what text you are using, but if you could make your navigation into simple text w/ background color changes and use the flower as a bg image, it would really reduce the loading times
    I know, that would be cool... But I don't think the designer would let me do that. He doesn't like people messing with his design. I guess other than the ampersand it does look kind of like arial though. But, I know that with CSS you can make the menu all caps, but I'm pretty sure you can't make the first letter of each word bigger than the rest huh? So then I wouldn't really be able to do it. But they're pretty small images though anyways so I don't think it's really a big deal. Especially since I changed it to the quick rollovers.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Sure you can. [minicode]font-variant: small-caps;[/minicode] :-)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I made a bunch of cool changes so check them out. Plus, look at the page w/ no CSS! Tell me if you think it's cool or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    Sure you can. [minicode]font-variant: small-caps;[/minicode] :-)
    Awesome! I think I will convert it then!

Member #
    Looks good without the CSS, so rest comfortably with your HTML skills.

A suggestion if you want to get rid of the span on the main nav, you can have [minicode]visibility: hidden;[/minicode] even though it's not such a big deal how you have it now.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads