Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: yay css!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I just made my second CSS-only layout... Only one page is done, so none of the links work. But yeah, I used NO tables and NO javascript, not even JS for the image rollovers!

But, since it's only my 2nd ever CSS-only layout, I don't know if I did everything the best way possible. Or the "right way". Although I did try to. So anyways, if you could check it out and tell me what you think (code-wise, not design-wise), and if you think I did anything the "wrong way" then let me know!

Heather
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It's a bit slow to load, but it could be the server it's hosted on. Also, the background image repeats at high resolution: you may want to set it to not repeat and to instead of a background color of black.

But cool.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Regarding the background image, I can't really mess with the design at all because my supervisor designed it... If I took the background image out he'd probably hang me :dead:

I will try to see if I can compress it any to make it smaller. Thanks.

And no comments on the code?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    No, keep the background image, just don't make it repeat vertically.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well I don't know if he'd be okay with that, because he has a big screen and always checks that...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It looks like you're actually switching images for the rollovers. Can you use the `fast rollovers' methodology and string them together into one image so the rollover has no loading delay?

People will tell you using absolute sizes is bad -- especially pixel-level font size values. I don't use the latter, but I still use pixel-based sizes in other places, just because I haven't sat down and made myself start to do it with ems or other relative units.

Lastly, it looks like there're still just a couple of images with text that haven't been done using CSS replacement (i.e., with no style, there isn't text but rather an image). This includes the terms of use and privacy policy links, I believe. Might want to make those CSS replacement.

Looks fabulous :-)

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberryh
    Well I don't know if he'd be okay with that, because he has a big screen and always checks that...
    Maybe you're misinterpreting me, I mean hiding this seam:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    It looks like you're actually switching images for the rollovers. Can you use the `fast rollovers' methodology and string them together into one image so the rollover has no loading delay?
    I don't know what you're referring to ...? What do you mean string them together into one image?

People will tell you using absolute sizes is bad -- especially pixel-level font size values. I don't use the latter, but I still use pixel-based sizes in other places, just because I haven't sat down and made myself start to do it with ems or other relative units.
    That's weird, I mean everything on the web is measured in pixels anyways. I would think pixel-level would be good. I'll have to read up on that...

Lastly, it looks like there're still just a couple of images with text that haven't been done using CSS replacement (i.e., with no style, there isn't text but rather an image). This includes the terms of use and privacy policy links, I believe. Might want to make those CSS replacement.
    Oh! Thanks for catching that! I'll fix it!

Looks fabulous
    Awwwww, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fil
    Maybe you're misinterpreting me, I mean hiding this seam
    Oh my gosh!!!!! I TOTALLY did not see that seam before!!! (My screen isn't big) Thanks so much for pointing that out! I will totally fix it!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    OMG! I just found what you were talking about. COOL! I'm going to try that! Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, it's a neat little trick :-)

Concerning relative sizes -- the idea is that, when the user increases the font size, for example, the fonts won't start overflowing your layout, but instead the layout will scale with the changed font size.

Mind you, the site you've made is fine, it's just something to keep in mind for future designs, I guess. There are still places where solid pixel-level layouts are necessary. For example, just now I made a faux column-style layout that also needed a background image for the content to the right of the column. If I didn't have the width of the content+column set to 850px, it'd be really hard because if the width got too big then the faux column would start repeating. Fortunately, I gave a set width, so that wasn't a problem :-)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads