Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    My HTML editor puts this at the beginning of the <HEAD> section:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
    content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

--What exactly does this "charset" mean?

(My guess: "Attention search engines! This page has been coded by a cheap stupid WYSIWYG editor...!")

--Is any of this necessary?

--Can this just as well be put at the END of the head section?

I just read at addme.com : "Never put anything between your <head> tag and the <title>. This can cause many search engines not to find your title." (!)

...and so i am thinking... maybe i should remove this meta http-equiv thing... or at least move it to the end of the <head> section...?

Member #
    character set.

you're using dreamweaver, it tries to make all code compliant across all browsers, some browsers require you have that in the code, or else it looks very messed up.

You shouldn't reomve it.

edit:

don't listen to addme.com

Member #
    Originally posted by ub3r character set. you're using dreamweaver, it tries to make all code compliant across all browsers, some browsers require you have that in the code, or else it looks very messed up.You shouldn't reomve it. edit: don't listen to addme.com
    Thank you Ub3r!

:ichatcool: The light shines in... Really glad to know I was wise to imitate my html editor in the first place...

:cheeky: (But you are doing me flattery. It was not Dreamweaver, it was FrontPage Express... or else, just maybe I got the habit from my trial version of Namo...)

But, just in case there is something to what addme says.... is there any harm in:

a. Put the charset just before the <head> tag? After all, it says something quite similar to <html>. I.e.:

<html>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
    content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    <head>
    <title>etc., etc...

b. Or, put the charset down at the end of the <head> section, just before </head>? (If not sure, maybe somebody can name one of those browsers that "gets messed up" so I can check it out?)

Member #
    You should keep the content-type inside of the head tags. That won't do anthing to your search engine submission.

Member #
    Thank you again Ub3r.

I did a google search that brought me to http://www.w3.org/International/O-charset.html and they just say "it goes inside the head section..."

So, I have included the charset inside my "headinclude" SSI that I use for adding things to every page. This will put the CHARSET down lower, but will still be there. Also, this SSI-include allows me to change it easily for all pages in future, if needed.

This search also brought me to this list of "what browsers accept which charsets": http://www.w3.org/International/O-charset-list.html

...and like you say, it looks like the charset I have been using is about the best, because it is acceptable to all browsers. (At least so long as the text is in European and not Korean or etc.)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    charset 8859-1 is the ISO Latin 1 character set... basically, western european and american countries.

8859-2 means the Latin 2 character set (or extended latin)

8859-3 is cyrillic, i believe

What your editor is doing is telling the world (search engines, etc.) what character set your website is in so they can adjust appropriately.

Most websites these days that require alternate character sets will use utf-8, which is unicode, supporting all character sets.

Member #
    Thank you Transio.

Yes, I saw UTF-8 mentioned. Is that "the standard" now? Any downside if I switch to UTF-8?

And what is the difference? My guess is, UTF-8 will support "accent egue" and other squiggles over and under letters, as used in various European languages? (Maybe even Korean, Japanese, and Chinese?)

But.... maybe there is no difference, so long as I am just writing in plain English...?

Remove Ads