Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    hi all,
    over the winter i seem to have plenty of time on my hands, so heres the big question.
    I have a website already running but is hosted by a company that has limitations on there server as what i can do with the site. Software is on site and unable to take the site to the next level.
    would rather do the work myself as its a one man band and heres the big question.
    What software should i choose? although have no experience in code of any sort. can find my way around Photoshop and a computer......
    advise would be much appreciated.... do i Dreamweave or Frontpage and how easy is it..... a couple of courses will be done perhaps to get to grips with the essentials... But i do need a better site....
    www.poolhallfisheries.com

cheers nik.......

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Dreamweaver and Photoshop help, but Dreamweaver or any other WYSIWYG editor won't help you learn to code properly; instead, they try to make a point-and-click interface that, while can potentially can make attractive sites with enough experience, also makes really crappy code.

You should instead focus on your page structure: put headers in header tags, use the <dl> tag when defining a list of definitions, use <table> only when showing tabular data (i.e., not for layout), etc. Once you define the structure of your page--not its appearance--in your HTML, you then move onto the appearance via CSS (cascading style sheets).

The combination of "semantic" HTML (markup that describes the structure and content of a page, not its appearance) and CSS is the true zen of web design.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    flash is cool for rich content; im really going on a flash rampage today!
    for other rich content use javascript, but dont use those tacky effects, use something like scriptaculous

Remove Ads