Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Change fonts

Member #
    Hy i want to change the fonts on my site but when i change them in css they are still the same,i tried to put the font files on the server but still nothing cansomebody help me?because the css editor couldn`t..

http://www.articlesnews.org

Member #
    Huh? They're all tahoma or Arial. And you can't ever force people to use a font, because the font has to be on their computer. Putting the files on the server doesn't help at all. Usually, using font-family, you set, from left to right, the font you want them to use most, to the most basic font. You want to include fonts available on most computers, and for all OSes.

You can't set custom (your own) fonts unless all your viewers have that font.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    or unless you use sIFR - which you can read about in last months edition of .net magazine.

or probably on wikipedia too, what it does is put the font onto the website almost like an image, but not. probably best reserved for titles though

Member #
    .net isn't published in Indonesia... and I'm waiting to go to Singapore to get one.

The idea of using a script to transform any font into an image has been around for a long time... I use it in PHP at times. (Remember those authentication images where you have to write the text contained in them? CAPTCHAs?)

It's generally not a very good idea though, except for title text which might be worth extra decoration. Remember that you can't enlarge them (unless you use elaborate JS).
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    mike davison talk about sifr here

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    sIFR, as well as CSS image replacement, are both techniques that can be excellent ways to simulate embedding a font without actually losing the real text behind it. Personally, I'm more a fan of CSS image replacement, but sIFR has some aspects that are more flexible (as I remember it, for example, you can change the text via JS and have the sIFR update). I think sIFR also allows resizing the font. Can't remember any of this for sure, as sIFR is one of those things I've glanced at but never used. Generally speaking, the body of your site shouldn't need any fancy fonts anyway, and headers can afford to stay the same size even with font size changes. Note that Opera will zoom images anyway, though, as its `zoom' is a full-on zoom, not just a font-size change.

Member #
    Wow, cool concept. Although eventually the technology isn't to last (probably in the future there'll be a way to link a font to a style sheet), it might be good for now... I might try that.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    And I think one of the cooler parts of it is that they've taken this into account and essentially made it easy to pull sIFR out once something comes along that can replace it :-)

Remove Ads