Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    i'm wondering if it is possible to use an imported Style to input text automatically into a DIV. i'm hoping to use it to automatically put my navigation bar links all in. Is this possible?
    - flipjargendy

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Can't do that with CSS.

Member #
    Just curious then. Could i use Java to write data to a specific DIV? Or is there any way to do this? i probably won't use Java for just a little navbar but it's nice to know for future reference.
    - flipjargendy

Member #
    Have you considered a PHP include?
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Java or Javascript? I suppose javascript. Yes you can, but then if someone has javascript turned off (and this can include search engine crawlers), they won't see any navigation. To do this you need the innerHTML property, which, while isn't recommended, can be used.

CSS is just for styling, it's not for content. The cleanest way would be via a server-side language, which is really, really simple.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Id go with chris and use a php include like this

PHP Code:
    <?php
    include ('somedir/somefile.php');
    ?>
    the same follows for anywhere in the files

and note that if the file that is being included contains PHP you MUST remeber to use the PHP opening tags again.
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    Thank you guys so much for the input! i am not familiar at all with PHP so i didn't know if that was an option or not. i'll give it a try soon. Thank you all again :-)
    - flipjargendy

Member #
    If your server supports it, then PHP is always an option - that solution is absolutely invisible to your users.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Remove Ads