Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi, one of my worst nightmares came true: I was working with a client from another city and I recently made updates to the client's website.

The updates (according to him) never appeared! But, whenever I go online at my house using my laptop or my desktop PC, I can see the updated work. This is clearly an FTP problem and I don't know why this happens.

I created a Flash homepage for the client, and recently added more movieclips because I wanted to add more features to the homepage. I made sure that every movieclip and HTML file were in the same folders. The homepage loads and unloads several movieclips when you click on a button. According to the client, when he clicks the button on his computer, the photo gallery and other additions do not show up. I told him to refresh his browser, to no effect.

The guy isn't mad at me, but he is very concerned.

Another related FTP problem I had with another client..sometimes JPGs wouldn't appear on the website. I solved the problem by opening up the JPGs in MS Paint and re-saving them again. But there has to be a better way than that.

Thanks for your help!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Give us a link and we'll see if they load for us.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Two things come to mind:
    • The FTP program may be circa 1998 and not automatically detecting binary vs. text files, and uploading binary files in ASCII mode.
    • Your client's browser is caching an old version (more likely).
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Agree with filburt - try having him do a complete cache cleanup on his browser. Or have him try on a different computer.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    just tell the client to run CCleaner that should fix the problem if its his end.

Ive had problems with ftp before, not updating, try deleting the old file from the ftp server before uploading the new version
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim
    Give us a link and we'll see if they load for us.
    Ok, here is the page: www.coloredink.org

When you click on the "Features" button, does anything happen?

And when you click on other buttons on the menu (specifically the top two) does anything show up?

My client is complaining that nothing happens.

Thanks

Member #
    looks fine to me all the links work, becasue its a entirely flash site i would say it was definatly down to browser cache
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    It's definitely the cache in my opinion, I had a similar problem when I tested the new forum I was installing on my site, when I changed the icons the forum software's logo still came up.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've found that with Flash files, the cache always needs to be emptied - a simple page refresh will not do the trick.

As for the JPG problem w/ your previous client, a possible problem could have been that the JPGs were accidentally saved in CMYK color mode rather than RGB. That has happened to me before and the JPGs wouldn't display in the browser.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    i was just browsing through threads and checked out your site. Thought I would let you know that there are some display issues with it (unless my computer is just being spazzy); for instance when I am viewing this page: http://www.coloredink.org/aboutci.html , the content that is supposed to be in the grey section is instead next to it and I have to scroll horizontally to see it. It's the same with all the links I click.

I am on a Mac using Safari 1.3.2. Attached a screen shot for your viewing pleasure
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - gah!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads