Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi guys I am asking a really easy and probably silly question but lets see if you can help me. I am working on a personal site and I have decided that I want to put all my Javascipt and CSS files into a sub folder called scripts I usually don't do this but its my site and I want to try something different, what seems to be the issue is that I can't seem to get my background jpg to show when using this method below is the code lets see if its an error there.

HTML Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>My Page</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="scipts/base.css" />
    </head>
    <body>
    </body>
    </html>
    Code:
    /* CSS DOCUMENT*/
    body {background: url(/images/blue.jpg) repeat-x}
    Please help this pobably really simple and really obvious that im gonna kick myself once I know.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    scipts
    Spelled wrong.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Filburt this is a typo I made here the names match.

Member #
    For some reason I usually don't have an opening slash in the URL.

So I go url(images/blue.jpg) instead of url(/images/blue.jpg). And in case this sort of thing happens again, to troubleshoot this kind of problem you first want to make sure each link in the chain is working - is the stylesheet properly linked to (try do something like background: #f00 first to see if the background becomes red), then test the image url, etc.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Keep in mind what that opening / means. A lack of it means that your URI is relative to where the actual web page is. Its presence means your URI is relative to your document root, so if the document is at [minicode]http://www.mycoolsite.com/place/superplace/test.html[/minicode], [minicode]/images/test.png[/minicode] would refer to [minicode]http://www.mycoolsite.com/images/test.png[/minicode] , and [minicode]images/test.png[/minicode] would refer to [minicode]http://www.mycoolsite.com/place/superplace/images/test.png[/minicode].

Member #
    Hehe I found the answer I was looking for I had to tell the css file to come up one directory using ".." thanks to all those that helped. <kicks himself for bieng silly>

Remove Ads