Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Me again.

I'm designing this website with full CSS but running into trouble when it comes to the padding in IE6.

I've read that padding seems to be a no-go with IE6...so is there a way around it?

Basically, you can check out my site and see that I need some padding on the divs.

http://www.pacesetter.com/pacesetter

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hm, that link didn't work for me.

But, if you are having issues with the padding, you can always create an IE6-only CSS file, and use the conditional if (in HTML comments) to include it in your page.

But I believe what happens is if you have say, a 300px wide div and you want 10px padding, then you'd have to declare a width in CSS of 280px, because when you add the 10px of padding on each side, then it all adds up to 300px.

Hope that helped.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Oops sorry...link is

www.pacesettertravel.com/pacesetter

I've tried with the giving 10px of padding means taking 10px of the width, but it seems that IE6 just doesn't like padding at all.

As for the IE Conditional statements...I'd still need the work around of the padding...

Thanks for the reply.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh well, what I meant is, you can do a conditional statement, like "if ie6, then set padding to zero"... etc.
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    There's another trick when it comes to widths (which is one of the major problems in IE). Use the !important keyword.

Code:
    width: 280px !important;
    width: 300px;
    Basically most proper browsers will see the !important, that implies that the rule it's in takes top priority over any other rules. IE, however, doesn't get it at all, and will just override the first rule with the second.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Remove Ads