Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I recently launched a redesign of my business site, and there are two remaining CSS issues that I can't seem to resolve. I'd appreciate any help that my fellow WDFers could offer.

1. Sidebar Bullying My Images Around

This problem shows up across all major browsers, but only on this page. It's most noticeable with a wide browser window.

If an image or other element within div#content_area is floated to the left, and if its position within #content_area is such that it's higher on the page than the bottom of div#sub_nav, then the floated element will drop to a new position within #content_area that's below #sub_nav.

This is fixable by floating the content area, but this introduces other problems. I'm researching a fix, and wondered if anyone here might have some suggestions. I'd also be interested in finding out what's at work here. It's too consistent to be a browser bug, so I'm probably running up against some quirk of the CSS box model.

I'll be trying a different float method on #content_area when I get some free time. If it works, I'll post a reply with details.

2. Extra Space Below Footer in IE6

This one is much more minor -- In IE6 and IE7, the footer has about 1em of extra space beneath it. The weird thing is that this only shows up in the weblog and portfolio sections of the site.

I was able to fix the problem for IE7 by adding the following in a stylesheet targeted only to that browser:

Code:
    #footer { margin-bottom: -1.2em; }
    Unfortunately, this doesn't work for IE6. Instead it cuts the footer in half horizontally.

I'm tempted to give this second issue a pass, since it's a very minor problem. If anyone knows how to fix it, however, I'd be interested in your ideas. Thanks!

Note: Due to a known server-side issue, the site will sometimes fail to load in IE. If anyone visits to check this out and gets an empty page, just reload a few times.

Update (5-9-2007): The server-side issue I reported has been solved, thanks to help in another forum. IE users should now be able to view the site without trouble.
    Zenscope Studio
    Quality Website Development and Graphic Design
    Specializing in Independently-Owned Businesses and Non-Profits
    www.zenscope.com

Member #
    Hi amessinger, any chance of supplying us with some of the css for that page so we can see if its a issue there, when I viewed your site in Firefox the crossword.jpg has some text overlapped ontop of it, is this the issue you need help with or is it something else? Also I veiwed your site in IE7 and don't see the problem you speak of also the crossword.jpg is normal (no text oveerlapping).

Member #
    I'm tied up at the moment, but will be back with the relevant CSS code later today or tomorrow.

Meanwhile, could you give me some more information about the rendering issue you see in Firefox? I'm not observing the same text overlap myself. What version of FF are you using, and on what operating system? Do you see a similar overlap on images elsewhere in the site, like those in the portfolio's case studies?

Thanks for your help!
    Zenscope Studio
    Quality Website Development and Graphic Design
    Specializing in Independently-Owned Businesses and Non-Profits
    www.zenscope.com

Remove Ads