Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey all. I'm kind of new to html coding, so I am not real good with the lingo, etc. But is there a simple way I can make myself a proxy to put on my personal website so me and my friends can get past our school's firewall? How do I start designing one? What do I have to do? Try to keep it simple if at all possible. Thanks!

Member #
    This probably has to do with your school firewall, though. I'm afraid it can't be done - otherwise we'd be flooded with viruses by now. Some wiser guys might know, but not me.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    There are anonymous proxies out there, but they're usually blocked. You can set up your own proxy server, sure, but `simple' is not a word that I would use to characterize setting up your own proxy :-P

Anyway, it's worth it to Google some anonymous proxies and see if you can spot one that is accessible from your school (@nonymouse.org is one I used back in the day, but I believe it's usually blocked now on most systems).

Member #
    Excuse me I used the wrong terminology...I meant to ask about getting past a web filter. What about making a site with frames, where like a small top frame is my site and that is what the filter will see, and the middle frame opens to like google or something. Would surfing within that frame be safe from the filter?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    No, each frame makes a separate request to get its contents, so it won't be possible for you to get around it with a framed layout. Sorry.

Member #
    Based on your info, I don't see how it can be done. Shadowfiend is right, each frame would be a seperate request.
    What is it you are trying to do? Maybe more info might help.......
    GMan

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by planetgman
    Based on your info, I don't see how it can be done. Shadowfiend is right, each frame would be a seperate request.
    What is it you are trying to do? Maybe more info might help.......
    Basically, I'm looking to design my own proxy (one similar to www.razorthought.com or www.megaproxy.com) I thought it wuold be a fun project, I would learn a lot, and it was one me and my friends could use. I really want to make one, I really don't care how complicated it is, becuase I could learn. Basically I'm just looking for the easiest way to make one.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, the thing about proxies is that:
    • They operate on servers -- you're behind a filter, and you go to that server, and then that server lets you go to the other sites `through it'.
    • The server is the one that does the site fetching and whatnot. You have to actually program something on the server that will go and grab the specified URI. You can probably use something as basic as PHP for this.
    • Most filters also search POST and GET to look for banned URIs, I believe. In this case, you'd have to implement some client-side Javascript encryption/scrambling (even ROT13 would probably work) to fool the filter, then on the server-side, decrypt/descramble the received data to extract the original URI yo uwere wanting to access.

That turned into a list of things you probably want to do, instead of a list of issues. :-D Go for it!

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Also, if they catch you doing this (and it's pretty easy to catch someone doing this) there's a high chance they'll EXPELL you from school.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh yeah. Definitely. Probably shoulda mentioned that.. :-P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads