Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Ok, I have a very specific problem related to using sound files on my website.
    I know that audio on websites is extremely unpleasant, but I am a language teacher and this site is for helping my students with their coursework, so the audio is extremely important.
    I have been using the following code to run several small sized versions of Windows Media Player on the page.

HTML Code:
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td>
    <object id="mediaPlayer" classid="CLSID:22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95" codebase="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701" standby="Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player components..." type="application/x-oleobject" height="45" width="170">
    <param name="fileName" value="soundtest2.mp3">
    <param name="animationatStart" value="true">
    <param name="transparentatStart" value="true">
    <param name="autoStart" value="false">
    <param name="showControls" value="true">
    <param name="loop" value="false">
    <embed type="application/x-mplayer2" pluginspage="http://microsoft.com/windows/mediaplayer/en/download/" id="mediaPlayer" name="mediaPlayer" displaysize="4" autosize="-1" bgcolor="darkblue" showcontrols="true" showtracker="-1" showdisplay="0" showstatusbar="-1" videoborder3d="-1" src="sountest2.mp3" autostart="false" designtimesp="5311" loop="false" height="45" width="170">
    </object>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <!-- ...end embedded WindowsMedia file -->
    </tbody>
    This worked great in Internet Explorer, but for some reason not in Firefox, where whenever I loaded the page it always asked for new plugins and then couldnt find them or use them.
    Im sure that there would be a way around this by messing with the preferences in Firefox, but I dont want my visitors to have to do this, because they will probably just quit and leave.
    Does anybody know a way to make this work in both IE and Firefox, without messing around with extra plugins?
    OR :
    I did find this piece of code, which actually does work in both browsers without even mentioning searching for extra plugins :

HTML Code:
    <title>embed_v3</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    <object id="objMediaPlayer" classid="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95" type="application/x-oleobject" height="45" width="170">
    <param name="FileName" value="soundtest2.mp3"><embed type="application/x-mplayer2" src="soundtest2.mp3" autostart="false" name="objMediaPlayer" height="45" width="170">
    </object>
    <br>
    </body>
    </html>
    As I said, this wrks fine in both IE and Firefox - the problem is, that it autostarts when I load the page, which is not what I want. What is very wierd is that this only happens in IE, not in Firefox. I have tried sticking in an "autostart=false" but that doesnt do any good. Does anybody know why this happens? Is it to do with the CLSID? Is there any way to stop it?
    P:S some people have suggested using Flash, which I really dont want to do. I work as a language teacher in a poor area of a 3rd world country with internet restriction issues, and for some reason Flash is unlikely to work for most of the people here, although WMP is normally OK.
    Thanks heaps for your help

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    EDIT:

Oops, I just read the part about Flash after I posted my reply.
    I still think you should at least try it ... it's free and worth a shot.

===============

If your files are MP3, I would recommend using a free Flash Player
    you can embed in your webpages.

Give me a link to one of your MP3 files and I'll come up with a
    working example. The only thing you'll need to know about free
    Flash Players is that you're stuck with how they look.

I have one example here (an orange looking thing).

http://www.catpin.com/streaming.php

You can try that one ... and it's free.
    View the HTML to see the source code and there's
    a link on there to download the zipped Flash file.

There are other free Flash Players you can find using Google.

They are able to play an MP3 directly off the website without any
    plugins other than Flash, and most computer already have it.

Remove Ads