Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I am sure its quite easy and it slipped pass me but if you take a look at the following link I have 2 colors in the background, the lighter color needs to be only 200px in the background and at the top... it works in all browsers... but.. take a GUESS?? IEEE
    heh... well here is the link:

http://www.kreativ.cn/work/joe

thanks mates

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    What is it that isn't working? Any chance you could give us a screenshot in IE? I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the containing element is expanding its height to include its contents. Honestly, you're using some pretty weird functionality to achieve the 200px-tall background. Why not just use an absolutely positioned div with lower z-index that is the appropriate height and width? It seems like it would achieve the job better with less hassle. It isn't immediately apparent in your current setup why it is that the overflow: hidden isn't hiding everything, and clarity in code, even CSS, is important.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    What is it that isn't working? Any chance you could give us a screenshot in IE? I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the containing element is expanding its height to include its contents. Honestly, you're using some pretty weird functionality to achieve the 200px-tall background. Why not just use an absolutely positioned div with lower z-index that is the appropriate height and width? It seems like it would achieve the job better with less hassle. It isn't immediately apparent in your current setup why it is that the overflow: hidden isn't hiding everything, and clarity in code, even CSS, is important.
    Hey shadow
    thanks for the response, and im about to try with your suggestions.. i never really use z-index to much so i guess .. i just avoid using it at times its needed.. do you have to use it with a fixed position? or is the absolute position just to hold it in place at all times .. so you do not have to place the closing tag at the end of the other divs?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, that one would end up being its own div. What I don't know is whether you'll have to also do some absolute positioning to the div with the body text in it (so that you can apply a higher z-index to it than the one you apply to the background one).

However, you could just as easily use background-position, background-repeat, and a background image for what you're trying to achieve, I think.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    so you mean create a dark gray box for the bg image?

ok man its working .. i didnt need z-index.. it worked w/ zindes in IE but not in FF

so i just did
    width:1000px;
    height: 200px;
    left: 0px;
    top: 0px;
    position: absolute;
    background-color:#7C7B7A;

and it worked great... i want to do a reflection of the site at the bottom of the container... i guess i would create an image and just do a div right underneath my wrapper , right?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Sure. Dunno exactly what you mean by `reflection of the site', but what you're saying sounds about right.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    heh.. well sounds right works for me until i actually attempt it then... hah... well.. lets leave it at that.

hey shadowfiend do have any info about doing a donation/contribution page where people can donate money online.. i know this involves php ..

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    need help aligning a dropshadow with crossbrowser... IE seems to be hating me ... heres my css

Code:
    #dropshadow{
        width:625px;
        height: 500px;
        position:absolute;
        top: 14px;
        left: 300px;
        background: url("graphics/dropshadow.gif");
        background-repeat: no-repeat;
    }
    in IE its to the left, in FF its to the right.. and in mac FF its good.. .

view site at : http://www.kreativ.cn/work/joe

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Do you have a doctype declaration? You may need an extra stylesheet to tell IE a different position. Do you have a doctype declaration? If you add one IE will leave quirks mode and some things might get fixed.

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The shadow doesn't align with the content at all in Mac FF. The body is centred, but the background isn't, so it's pushed to the right of the page.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads