Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello,
    Sorry if this is too basic a question for your forum, but I've had a site developed & the pages were loading & displaying as intended using an Explorer 6 browser. The site has been developed in ASP with a mix of HTML and Javascript and there's a simple CSS sheet to define typefaces and font sizes. I've just put Windows Vista which has Explorer 7 on another PC and there's a completely variable error when loading pages which require a usertype. Sometimes they come up fine, then won't load for several attempts. I have .com, .co.uk and .fr versions of the site and the error happens on all 3. The site has been up for years and never did this on my original PC, running W2000 Explorer 6. It seems better when I empty the cache regularly. Is this application usertype error I'm getting likely to be a problem coming from the server, or associated with Vista, or something in the page scripts which isn't adapted to Explorer 7?
    Would really appreciate some advice as am pretty much out of time and budget on this project!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm not clear on exactly what the problem is. Is it an ASP error or a Javascript error or what?

Member #
    Same confusion over here... Give us the actual error report.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    It's just a blank screen that comes up immediately with the words "Application usertype error" without specifying whether it's an ASP, Javascript error or what. Basically there's an intro page which is for all users, then you select from 2 zones which determines whether the login page is for usertype A or B. Hence once the login page loads you're already in the correct zone for your usertype. From this page you either login, register or get help (links to 3 different pages). It's these next pages that have this eratic usertype error. It happened on a friends PC for some time and only rightened itself once she cleared the cache. Does this mean I have to warn users that the site will only work if they're not stocking temporary internet files. Seems crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    I'm not clear on exactly what the problem is. Is it an ASP error or a Javascript error or what?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hmm... These are odd symptoms. Can we have a screenshot of the relevant issue? Or, better yet, a URI where we can see if we can reproduce it? Both would be ideal

Member #
    Hi
    I reproduced the error once this morning, after that it's been working fine. I reckon it has something to do with the cache because once cleared on other users' PCs it has worked ok for them too, but I'm no expert! I can also contact the site's host but I'm not sure what to tell them the problem is and whether it comes from their end. I wasn't able to attach a screenshot, nor copy the image below, but it's just a blank screen with Application Error : User Type Unknown
    the url is http://www.thepeopleengine.co.uk
    navigate to the intro page, select a zone (this will determine the usertype) Eg you'll go to:
    http://www.thepeopleengine.co.uk/usrLogin.asp?type=cnd
    From here you should be able to preregister, or follow links forgotton password etc. If you can register (you'll have to put in a valid email address to receive your password or if you don't want to I'll set up a test ID for you) then you can see if you can log in with it. If the problem is due to the cache then you should be able to do this fine the first time, but then have problems when you go into the site another time. As I said it's been working just fine for a long time so I don't know if it's down to Explorer 7 incompatibility or what.
    At a loss!
    Rebecca
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    Hmm... These are odd symptoms. Can we have a screenshot of the relevant issue? Or, better yet, a URI where we can see if we can reproduce it? Both would be ideal

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Did you write this code or did someone else? It looks like it's an error message from the code itself, not from the server or anything. Google has indexed the error, interestingly enough.

Member #
    Hi
    The error message does come from my code. The question is that the situation the error message was created for shouldn't be happening.
    I've been sent some code Microsoft recommend to hopefully fix the caching.
    Response.Expires = 0
    Response.AddHeader "Cache-Control", "no-cache"
    Response.AddHeader "Pragma", "no-cache"
    This will need to be added to each page effected.
    I'll give this a try.
    I've also found other problems with my menus when using Windows Vista and Internet Explorer 7. Am trying to find some stuff on MS forums for this. Many thanks for your help.
    Rebecca

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hmm... Be careful, there. It seems very odd that you'd have to avoid caching for that to work. Maybe you should revise your code, find out why that issue is happening, and revise your code to avoid the issue -- even if it needs to be greatly refactored -- as it seems to be a fairly large issue.

Member #
    Fair point, especially as I've now discovered this issue with the menus. I'm now wondering if it's not an incompatibility with IE7 issue seeing as all was fine on IE6. May have to get an expert in (damn no money!), meantime I'll try to understand the issue. I'm still trying to find the right site or forum on which to read up on how to adapt your web pages to take account of browser changes. Any thoughts? I can't find what I need via Microsoft Support - though it's probably there somewhere.
    The menus are cutting off after the first word eg United instead of United States or are only displaying my internal categorisation instead of the menu selections eg "Dev" instead of "Java". The same menus are ok using IE6.
    Moving from "at a loss" to "losing heart:cry: "
    Rebecca

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads