Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    IEhacks will most likely break as new browsers approach right?
    so what is the best way to solve IE bugs? do most of you agree to use conditional comments... I just want to make sure I learn the correct way before, advancing

Member #
    I generally try to use javascript to send IE 6 or lower to a special IE <6 page but as IE doesn't run the javascript half the time, I make sure the pages are at least readable in IE.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Script everything for FF and then see how it looks in IE.

Make necessary adjustments, but avoid hacks if you can.
    There's usually ways to make things look the same in all
    browsers ... if it means simplifying something, eliminating
    some unnecessary eye-candy, etc.

It's sort of like factoring in mathematics ... always looking
    for the most common factors.

I personally would never even check for which browser the
    visitor is using. Use valid CSS, make it accessible ... if you
    find something that doesn't render properly in IE, then don't
    use it, or find another option.

This type of thing usually pops-up with fancy navigation,
    DHTML stuff ... things you don't need.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes, only in situations where there absolutely isn't a way to achieve something you really need should you use conditional comments. Strive to make everything work cross-browser without hacks or additional stylesheets or anything.

Also, avoid user-agent-based browser sniffing at all costs. Most non-IE browsers are perfectly capable of spoofing their UA to seem like IE, precisely because UA sniffing can do some very stupid things sometimes.

Member #
    Using javascripts to avoid hacks? I thought hacks are used to avoid javascipts so that visitors with their javascript turned off can see the website without any problems?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Conditional comments are not Javascript, they're a built-in feature of IE that is ignored by other browsers. They can't be disabled.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    Yes, only in situations where there absolutely isn't a way to achieve something you really need should you use conditional comments. Strive to make everything work cross-browser without hacks or additional stylesheets or anything.
    I tend to find that if you try different ways of doing the same thing, usually one of them works nicely without having to incorporate hacks - (with any luck, anyway).

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Indeed. I finally ran into a wall at work, though, and I'll be having to incorporate significantly different stylesheets for IE, because in order to use transparent PNGs I need to sacrifice the ability to use CSS sprites. Good browsers will use sprites to minimize downloads, IE will use separated images. Very annoying.

Member #
    Conditional comments are not Javascript, they're a built-in feature of IE that is ignored by other browsers. They can't be disabled.
    Ah of course.
    In general practice, which should be avoided as much as possible? IE hacks, Javascripts or conditional comments of IE's?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Indeed. I finally ran into a wall at work, though, and I'll be having to incorporate significantly different stylesheets for IE, because in order to use transparent PNGs I need to sacrifice the ability to use CSS sprites. Good browsers will use sprites to minimize downloads, IE will use separated images. Very annoying.
    Yeah I always seem to end up using min-height in code and "height" in an html hack - on a slightly more basic level, but I figure it doesn't really matter - that seems to be the only one I regularly use, sometimes they can't be avoided altogether.
    I found with a lot of layout issues, for example that laying everything out in a different way e.g. using floats / not using floatsfor example can very often solve hack issues. Sometimes it does involve rewriting a lot of the css though and if pushed for time I can see that it would very easily be tempting to use a lot of html hacks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads