Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Hello everyone,
    I have a very simple question. I would like to know what any of you could suggest me as the best program for building simple html websites, for a beginner that barely know what html, link, or ftp is?
    Thanks a lot in advance for any suggestion.
    Regards
    The beat never fades!

Member #
    Instead of beating around the bush saying "you could use x, y, or z" I'll just get to the point: You should learn HTML and you should code it by hand. It's not a hard language. And if you can't code it by hand you shouldn't make web sites. Period. In the end you'll get a very simple web site to begin with, but that's what you said you wanted.

If you want a good editor for you coding you can try Crimson Editor. That's the one I use.

Member #
    Notepad++ is a great option, as is WS_FTP. There are a million products out there, so I suggest just downloading a few, and figuring out what you like best. However, I beseech you to steer clear of WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editors, such as Dreamweaver, or Frontpage. Instead, learn proper (X)HTML and CSS, and start out coding by hand.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Bones
    Instead of beating around the bush saying "you could use x, y, or z" I'll just get to the point: You should learn HTML and you should code it by hand. It's not a hard language. And if you can't code it by hand you shouldn't make web sites. Period. In the end you'll get a very simple web site to begin with, but that's what you said you wanted.

If you want a good editor for you coding you can try Crimson Editor. That's the one I use.
    Well, your advice its nice and i thank you for it, but there is a small problem, the guy i am helping to find software doesn't plan to learn HTML (not enough time), and simply wants to build his website via some beginner software, visually, not digging the code.
    The beat never fades!

Member #
    If he has no interest in learning HTML, why not pay someone else to do it? It will save him a great deal of time, pluse he will get a site that he would be proud of.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think you can learn "proper" HTML using Dreamweaver or any other WYSIWYG editor. I use it since version 3 and don't have anything to complain about. The main question about learn or not, don't depend of wich program you use, but your willingness to learn.

The WYSIWYG function for me is more to have the basis of how the website will be in the end, since you still have a choice to change to "Code View" like I do.

Member #
    I've gained a lot of business off of people who "designed" their sites themselves. They will never have a fully functional, attractive website.
    So, for those people then Dreamweaver or Frontpage really would have to do.

Somebody who has no interest in learning the aspects of webdesign (at the basic level of HTML) shouldn't be putting up websites.
    They aren't serving the best interests of their own company. Sure, they save some money, but in the long run they won't get the most of their site.

Depending on the type of company he has, he should try to find someone to barter with. If he offers a service or product that can be traded for a different service, he should at least try that.
    GMan

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by az0000000
    the guy i am helping to find software doesn't plan to learn HTML (not enough time), and simply wants to build his website via some beginner software, visually, not digging the code.
    It could be that he just needs a site created quickly as opposed to being reluctant to spend the worthwhile time learning HTML. If that is the case, I would suggest a WYSIWYG program. Dreamweaver has been mentioned, and here are a few others (free):
    http://nvu.com/index.php
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
    http://www.w3.org/Amaya/Amaya.html

As Chris mentioned, paying someone to create it for you is the best route if you expect professional results.

I agree w/ Arkymedes - a WYSIWYG editor does automatically translate to poor code. However, with most of those types of editors, you will have make some, erm, "adjustments" to the finished code to remove all the fluff typically inserted by WYSIWYG programs. To do that will require at least a basic knowledge of HMTL.

If there is no time-frame push, I would recommend (as has been stated) learning to code from scratch. There are a billion HTML tutorials out there and learning how to code will really set you off on the right path. Here is the link to Notepad++ that Chris mentioned - http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm. It is a KILLER program and we use it exclusively as a replacement to Microsoft's "vanilla" Notepad.

Member #
    Thanks for help people.
    I know its quite hilarious to ask a question of my type in a forum of professional HTML coders, but that was the reality case...
    Thanks again.
    The beat never fades!

Member #
    At one time, none of us were professional HTML coders. We all had to learn. So we all can completely understand your position.

Some of us learned to hand code HTML through a text editor (http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm) and some of us learned HTML through a WYSIWYG editor (Dreamweaver or another one).

You should pick the best way that works for you personally .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads