Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello all,
    I'm quite new to web design and not very good with code. I like using "Design View" mode in Dreamweaver. I have a site( www.markandtammysworld.com )that I built a couple of years ago. I'm ready to do a facelift on it and make it a little more user friendly.
    I'd like to do the new site with frames to make it a little less bandwidth intensive for viewers and easier to update for me.
    I have a cool flyout menu that I would like to incorporate into the site. My problem is that I can't get the menu to display past the edge of the frame it's in and over the top of the adjacent frame when it flies out.

Can anyone tell me how to do this and give me a quick tutorial?

Thanks a bunch for any help.

Member #
    That is because you shouldn't be using frames.
    Plus, I would need to know what the menu code is to see how to make it work.
    It it is a script or software program, or an a DW add-on?
    GMan

Member #
    You have some habits that need fixing. First of all, don't use frames for that reason. It might save up on bandwith bills, but it'll be dangerous for your users and search engines. For example, people might bookmark just the content or the navigation. You can't give people direct links to a certain page in your site. Search engines are also known to have problems.

DW's Design View is a much debated topic, but if you want to install a "flyout menu", probably by Javascript, you need to handle code. This forces you to go to code view. And it makes you even more disgusted with the code Design View spits out.

On your actual question - you can't. You simply can't. Menus and such are really normal HTML elements specially positioned by Javascript. With frames, the HTML is limited to their own frames. You can't float the over to other frames.

PS: For the easy management of pages, use PHP/ASP server-side includes.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Remove Ads