Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Frames problems

Member #
    I can't get these white borders to go away in the frames I'm setting up. I haven't dealt with frames in a long time.

Basically I want a header frame, footer frame, then a middle that has a message board in the middle surrounded by side frames(top and bottom frame go all the way across). There aren't borders, I did the frameborder=0 tag, so the greyish borders went away, but now it's just plain white instead of the grey looking borders. Also can't figure out how to get a header image to perfectly match with the top of the middle frame so that there is nothing between it (the black background). Same with the footer image.

I'm going to see if I can post the code here. Thanks.

< frameset rows="125,400,160" >

< frame scrolling="no" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" src="frame_top.htm" >

< frameset cols="2*,901,2*">
    < frame scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" src="frame_left.htm" >
    < frame frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://something.com/forum/" >
    <frame scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" src="frame_right.htm" >

< /frameset >
    < frame scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" src="frame_footer.htm" >
    < /frameset >

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Give us the link to the actual website ... much easier to see.

Member #

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I hate frames and no longer use them, but I'm thinking it has to do with the
    ability to grab and move the edges (resize). Take away the ability to resize
    the frame and see if those borders go away.

Alternatively, you could create a normal web page with a window in the middle
    that is an <iframe> ... inline frame instead of a frameset.

That might be easier to work with. With the <iframe> you would have the vertical
    scroll so you would see your forum, with no resize abilities ... so the user could not
    force the window to cover your page.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you really want to do this I agree that an iframe is the way to go... forget frames...

...but I think the forum is a complete waste of time in such a shallow window.. it will be virtually impossible to use for the site visitors, such will be the difficulty in finding the buttons they need to submit replies etc... you need it to be much taller... I would not bother with the frames at all, personally...

Sean

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I agree with Sean, but didn't want to say it ...

I guess it's a personal preference thing.

Looking at the forum in a full window all by itself is
    the best way to view it and participate. You can
    customize the look of the forum to match the color
    scheme of your main site.

frames create all kinds of other problems too.

Member #
    iFrames are definitely the way to go for this one, although they aren't exactly too supported by everything...I'm still having problems with iframes atm
    Yes, I personally hate frames as well. They're a real pain. What web design software do you use?
    I WILL rule the world someday.
    My Blog!!!
    Check out the Leviathan Chronicles

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Comments :-

1. Your top frame is approx. 150px high, so why are you defining it as 125px? You lose "Pro Hockey" as a result.
    2. Bottom frame needs its margins set to 0 so that you don't get the black space at the top.
    3. Side frames should surely have continuations of the vertical lines from the top and bottom?
    4. Frameset tags should have the following so that you lose the borders... also, what's "2*" supposed to be about? Haven't seen this syntax before...
    Code:
    <frameset rows="150,*,150" frameborder="no" framespacing="0" border="0"> 
    <frameset rows="*,890,*" frameborder="no" framespacing="0" border="0">
    Sean

Remove Ads