Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    OK...point taken!

[&; like I said...you guys are the experts, not myself.]

So let me ask you all this, then:

Right now, in it's construction stage, the site is actually a sub-site...without it's own domain...as an extension of my main D & P site. At present, the spiders would see something like this:

http://www.mymainsite.com/myonlinerecordingsite.htm

If I have to leave it this way for a while, for financial reasons, will it even be picked up on by the search engines? Are there ways to direct a spider or data miner or robot or whatever they are, directly to that nested site? I read in Elizabeth Castro's book about a thing called a Crawler Page, which can be configured as an html export from within IE (& then submitted to the search engine with a submission request.)

Does that work?

The site looks pretty good...it's simple, but has some nifty design/graphic things going on & looks somewhat pro in approach. I'm totally confident when it comes to the service itself (online recording)...so if I can get prospective clients at least there...I know I can do some worthwhile business.

Thanks again,

mark4man

Member #
    The page isn't available for me, I can't load it. But google will index it as long as some other page its already indexing has a link (preferably a text link) to the new page.

w/ the advent of cheaper/larger storage space
    I really don't see how this makes any difference. Search engines are after your content only, and valuable good ones (indicated by having other sites link to it). I don't think anything else helps.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Indeed, it's actually greater computing power that allows them to analyze the page in more depth rather than just checking your keywords. Space is of no import, because the search engine may still pick keywords out of the given content.

Member #
    The page isn't available for me, I can't load it
    Steax...it's a fake address. I just wanted to show that it was a web page w/ keywords, as opposed to a home page/index w/ keywords. But what I guess you guys are saying is...it doesn't matter?...the whole site gets cataloged?

But google will index it as long as some other page its already indexing has a link (preferably a text link) to the new page.
    Ok, I see now. Well, that's a problem then...because...my home page (or any other pages) in my primary site doesn't have any links to the new site/pages. The new site/pages does have links back to my home page; & to other key pages in the primary site...but that's it.

I know that sounds weird...but right now I'm regarding the new site as a sub-site...or kind of like a site within a site. Oh, what the heck...its in the construction phase, but here it is:

My main site is http://www.moonjams.com

once you get past the portal page to the home page, there aren't any links to the new site.

the new site resides at http://www.moonjams.com/moonjammers.htm

please check out the code & tell me if you think it will get indexed properly

(but just don't make fun of my work.)

Thanks,

mark4man

Member #
    OMG, Silly me. I didn't realize the URL. Well anyway, URLs do make a difference, as search engines enjoy keywords in URLs - but don't overdo this either. If you've got a subsite like that, I'd recommend you use a subdomain instead.

As for search engine analysis, a few things:
    - Don't use a splash page. They have no function.
    - Your code is messy and doesn't use headers correctly. This severely reduces search engine rating.
    - I can't locate which is the main navigation on your main site, but I think you don't have any content search engines would like to index. Not too bad on your subsite.

I still say you should remove the keywords, and perhaps also the description. Learn real XHTML and CSS, and modify your design style to fit more content.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Keywords are not used by search engines, think about it, it means nothing to them because its easy to pput whatever words you want in there.

The reason search terms arrive high, where they may have a keyword matching the name. Is more likely because of backlinks and content. Really thats the only thing you can do with SEO. Good Code, Good Content, Good Backlinks. Anything else has a very limited effect...

Member #
    Another good, yet always debatable, strategy is to have consistent anchor text in links back to your site. Also don't ignore your internal linking as it can as important as external links - your pages can pass page rank to each other.
    Here's a link to a site with some good information and tools to analyze your current pages:
    http://www.rankquest.com/seo-tools.html

Member #
    Actually, PPC (pay-per-click) campaigns can be very effective and SHOULD be considered as a method of driving traffic to your website.

Well-run campaigns can bring very good results for your money and can increase in effectiveness as you gain natural searchability.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    255 seems like a more reasonable number, just because it happens to be 1 byte's worth of data.
    Umm.

255 characters is 255 bytes worth of data. :-D

I think you meant the number 255 can be defined by a single-byte numerical datum (unsigned 1-byte integer). :-P

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Actually, 255 characters could be twice as much or more depending on whether certain characters are used and encoded in Unicode. Both UTF-8 and UTF-16 have potential space requirements of two bytes or more per character :-P

Nonetheless, you're right, the point I was making is that 255 is a 1-byte integer's maximum value. And also the default length for certain character-based data types, though this seems less important in the context of a search engine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads