Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey...

A friend of mine (who designed his own homemade jewelry business site) tells me that there is a maximum number of keyword characters that should be utilized under <meta name="keywords" content=. He tells me this number is 250 (characters); & that search engine spiders ignore everything beyond those initial 250.

Is this true?

Thanks,

mark4man

Member #
    A book told me 900 characters. (Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 Demystified...old, but info should still be accurate?)
    I WILL rule the world someday.
    My Blog!!!
    Check out the Leviathan Chronicles

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    255 seems like a more reasonable number, just because it happens to be 1 byte's worth of data. Nonetheless, search engines don't really pay attention to meta keywords anymore, focusing instead on well-structured content (e.g., headers, titles, etc).

Member #
    They don't use keywords anymore? Do they use meta descriptions?
    I WILL rule the world someday.
    My Blog!!!
    Check out the Leviathan Chronicles

Member #
    You ask 10 different people, you will get 10 different answers.
    Plus, it depends on the search engine.

A rule of thumb is that as a minimum you want to have 25-45 keywords.
    Just as a maximum you want to have 75-125.

Anymore than this you are really doing yourself a dis-service and the search engines are catching on to those that have a lot.
    Also, 900 characters is about 112 words (at 8 letters a word)........so that should fall into that target range.

Again, it is open to interpretation and I certainly wouldn't listen to someone who makes homemade jewelry for my SEO advice. A DW book will be much more accurate.

I'm curious. Why do you ask? Did you have a difference of opinion with your friend?
    GMan

Member #
    I normally limit a client to around 25, just because with the clients that I have had up to this point, everything (that they give me) after 25 gets very repetitive. Plus, they tend to think that having 1,878,128,264 keywords will guarantee them the first spot in Google for every one of those keywords.

After their first 25, I will add up to about 25 more, if I find that they are missing some key search terms.

But like GMan says, ask 10 people get 10 different answers.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Sadly, there is information from quite reliable sources that google and all the others don't care about keywords. They care a bit for descriptions (some), but as I always say Rely on content, not boasting, and Getting visitors is half your success - making them stay is another half.

Don't try to get a website on a high ranking if people won't like it.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but thats the truth - and thats what the search engines want - quality links, not links with smart web developers.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Thanks everyone...

Well...I know I don't know s_it about this particular business, (I'm a digital musician who launched a debut CD last October; & I construct my own D & P sites in Dreamweaver)...but having said that, I have to disagree w/ the people who say they don't pay attention to keywords anymore. Type any keyword into a search engine...pick one of the leading contenders that come up in the search...view their source code; & your keyword will always be on the list. They may focus on deeper aspects of a site's content nowadays, w/ the advent of cheaper/larger storage space, but they still grab the keywords as a means of cataloging the site.

Anyway...I wasn't disagreeing w/ my friend...I was only hoping he was wrong. The site I'm working on now is for an online studio musician service; & when I plugged in all the terms I could come up with if I was the one looking to have online backup tracks recorded, I was a little beyond 750 characters. The reason it was important to me was...if the spiders ignore keywords beyond a set limit...I would have to consolidate the list so good ones past the end don't get ignored. Right now I have 82 words as part of 36 terms; & they're all really good, solid, essential terms.

Thanks much,

mark4man

Member #
    Don't think that was steax's personal opinion on keyword importance.........it is a fact. Search engines are moving away from relying just on keywords and going with content, links and hits.

That doesn't mean they don't use keywords as a guage for a site, but it isn't the only thing they base it on anymore.
    GMan

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Er... I'd read the link Steax posted before saying anything, mark4man.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads