Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am build a website, and i thought i had the design NAILED down. I had checked in all the browsers, and it looked fine. I have gone through and eliminated all the code i could to try and get it to stop. It looks fine in safari, but IE and FF are both no-go's.

I used the photoshop slice tool for most of it, then css based menus, then a css based repeating background, with one elastic content cell locked at 640 px with css and table paramaters.

Well, something happened it does not work. Can anybody see any stray code or div's in there? I have scoured this code for hours. How the page works is it uses a php include() command to include the correct menu files, and css files from a predesigned menu page. This is for a few reasons. To reduce clutter in my code, and to have one consolidated menu i can change to update the full site.

Can anybody find the code that is blowing up the page?

The URL:
    http://www.koinsforkenya.com/beta/final/donate/

Note: The reason i used the donate page is because that is the first on my list of second layer pages. its not spam.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Looks like a hand grenade, though I'm no explosives expert. Could be C4. Definitely got blowed up, though! :-D

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Ok, so I glanced at the code. There are no stray divs... it's a table layout. One thing I noticed is that your columns don't all match up. Make sure you have the same # of columns in every row. That's what's causing your problem.

Also, somewhere in the middle, I found this:

Code:
    					<tr height="33"></tr>
    					<tr height="35"></tr>

<tr height="28"></tr>
    					<tr height="28"></tr>
    					<tr height="28"></tr>
    					<tr height="34"></tr>
    					<tr height="32"></tr>
    					<tr height="32"></tr>
    					<tr height="30"></tr>
    					<tr height="33"></tr>
    Any idea what that's about?

Member #
    That is the placeholder for the menu. They are merged together, and the menu fits inside it. That was there before.

Member #
    How could i check the number of columns?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    every <td> is a column. if you have a colspan attribute in a <td> it "spans" multiple columns.

Member #
    Alas, the woes of using table layouts. I say do it in CSS and get rid of the tables. Not to be harsh, but, to me, it seems like the best solution. I'd also replace your menu with a text-based menu instead of images...

PS: For added information: Your current layout - just the menu and layout - is already nearly 80kb large. That says something.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Remove Ads