Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

CPW
    Member #
    I have a pretty simple question (I think).

I have a page with two frames. The second frame could contain any page on the web (it's not necessarily one made by me). If the source of the second frame is something like www.yahoo.com, when I click on a link in the frame, it loads the new page in the browser, not in the frame. How can I force it to load the page in the frame the link was clicked in?

I'm trying to make myself more clear, but I'm not sure how else to explain it. Hopefully you can understand what I am trying to say.

Thanks for the help.

Member #
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

CPW
    Member #
    Thanks, but I don't think that will work.

Let me explain better.

The problem is with links on webpages that I did not make. They are just any random webpages on the internet that will be displayed in a frame on my webpage. I have no control over the links in them. I need a way to force everything to stay in one frame, without changing any code in the page that is being displayed in the frame (since I can't).

Maybe this just won't work. If it doesn't, it's not a big deal. I was just trying something out and wondering if it could be done.

Thanks for any help you may give me. :-)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Can you show us an example of this not working? If I correctly understand what you're saying, it should be working fine.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    How about getting a screenshot?
    http://kish.in/21/website_screenshot_generator

CPW
    Member #
    Ok, I have an example set up for you. Go to http://www.pizzaandfries.com/frametest/ and Google's home page should load in the iframe. Type http://www.yahoo.com/ into the text box at the top of my page (not in Google's search box) and click the 'Go To Website' button. When the page loads, click on My Mail near the top of Yahoo's home page. The page will load in the whole browser window, rather than in just the iframe where the link was clicked in. (I used some JavaScript, so please make sure you have that enabled in your browser.)

I can't seem to figure out how to make the page load inside my iframe. Maybe I just can't.

Thanks for the help. :-)

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I think the only way to do what you're trying to do is by creating a widget that
    your user downloads ... like a Google Bar or a special search bar that is installed
    on the user's browser.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Interesting. They probably have a frame-breaking script, probably to avoid certain kinds of phishing exploits. Sorry, that's not really bypassable :-/

CPW
    Member #
    Ok, thanks for the replies. I guess it's not going to work.

Remove Ads