Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I want to create some boxes for the main page of my site. Kind of like the different sections that msn.com has (If you take a look at msn.com, you can see).

Only difference is that instead of my header bar being a perfect rectangle, mine is going to have rounded corners at the top.

I created a gif using gimp to be the title bar if needed.

What is the best way to code this box?

Should I use tables, CSS?

Any examples would be appreciated.

Thanks

Carl

Member #
    Hi Carl,

My programmers and I prefer to write in CSS, using div tags only. This allows for absolute positioning of your graphics and content, and also gives you the upper hand with search engine optimization as your source code has the freedom to move around in your script without affecting the design

To create what you are talking about, I would practice your html cutting ability. After time and practice, you will see how easy this really is.

Here is an example Web Design Naples
    Hope this helps! Let me know if you need any further assistance

Member #
    Of course use CSS, you shouldn't even think of tables in such case... Well rounded corners have been quite a thing to ponder on, especially with this web 2.0 stuff. There are some easy ways to do it, some involving javascript, but if you know the size of your box, you could just use a background image with the corners built in.

If you want to see the HTML and Image way to do this (an alternative for JS - as in it can be turned off), take a look at these ALA articles here and here.

Goof luck!

And aurora - what does that site have to do with the topic? That website is rather... umm, not so good either.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Remove Ads