Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am just starting my journey in the world of web design. I know that it is important to learn HTML and CSS. I am currently learning both. I was wondering if it is neccessary to learn to use one of the WYSIWYG programs to be a professional web designer or can I stick with coding by hand(so to speak).

Member #
    i always use dreamweaver or frontpage to do ay main edits, but a knowledge of code is necessary also for fine-tuning...at least thats how i do it. and i'm not much more experienced then you really, lol

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It is better to hand code.

If you need WYSIWYGs then feel free to use them, but it doesn't make you any more professional doing so... some might say it makes you less professional, but as long as you ensure that they aren't allowed to take over (and create code, for instance, that looks good in the WYSIWYG but sucks when you actually look at it in the browser) you should be fine.

Personally I would hand code because I can't be bothered to spend hours undoing things that the WYSIWYG thought I wanted to do but I didn't...

Sean

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Coding by hand is necessary, especially when you get into PHP and MySQL.
    For me, hand coding always seems easier and faster ... it's easy to cut and paste
    code from other scripts and files, duplicate things you've already done.

Member #
    There will be a point when hand-coding is easier that WYSIWYG. My advice is to remove yourself from WYSIWYG as soon as possible, or not at all. This avoids the "illusion" many people have that those programs can instantly create perfect, professional websites. It's like having control over every team member in your multi-department group, not just over the department leaders. You can fine-tune every last detail, unrestricted of the abilities of your program.

And especially, yes, when you approach programming languages (JS, PHP, ASP, RoR, etc) using a WYSIWYG program just makes things more complex.

Most of us choose to hand-code when possible.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Remove Ads