Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey Guys,

On my website, http://www.1updesign.net, I am experiencing a strange bug with the positioning of elements that only occurs in IE6 (doesn't occur in IE7). If you can view the site using IE6 you will notice there is a gap of 10px between the navigation bar and the content of the page, whereas in IE7/Firefox there isn't like it should be.

I've double and triple-checked my html and css (styles are in http://www.1updesign.net/global.css, FYI) and still cannot figure out why this is happening. I'm guessing it has something to do with IE6's crappy box model rendering, but no hack or workaround I've tried works.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Have you tried using floats? In my experience they seem to be the best way to get stuff consistent between browsers....
    Float the menu instead and see if that helps....

Member #
    Nope, no good when I float the menu div, actually it made the gap wider for some reason.

Member #
    Any other CSS gurus wanna take a shot at this? :nervous: I am just really at a loss right now.

In case anyone doesn't have IE6 so they can't see what I'm talking about, heres a screenshot of the problem in internet explorer 6:
    http://www.1updesign.net/misc/1updesign_ie6.gif

And here is how it is supposed to look (firefox):
    http://www.1updesign.net/misc/1updesign_ff.gif

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Hmmm..... will have a proper look later when I have more time....

Begging your pardon - what I meant was float the menu div AND the content div, not just the menu div. If you're going to use floats though you'll probably find you have to float more things as well, therefore rewriting your css a bit.
    Nowadays I use floats whenever I can as it seems to tighten everything up a bit. But they take a bit of getting used to.

So what I was getting at was if you put for eaxmple float:left; for your menu div then float:left; for your content div, the idea was the content div would fit snugly underneath the menu div.....er hopefully.....seems to cut out the box model problem a lot of the time.
    That's all I can offer for now though, sorry, better let someone more experienced take a look......

Member #
    Ah ok, I see what you mean now. I'll have to give that a try in a bit and see if it works. Thanks for all your input.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Also look for any newlines and get rid of them. The IEs have some random weird retarded bugs where they'll interpret newlines as line breaks.

Member #
    Still no change when I float the elements. I floated left all the child elements of the container div (which centers the entire thing).

Also look for any newlines and get rid of them. The IEs have some random weird retarded bugs where they'll interpret newlines as line breaks.
    Hmm yeah I'll have to check that. Do you know of any text editors that you can configure to display the newline characters?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well... Just use one that shows line numbers, and you'll see when the numbers change.

Member #
    Ok, I "fixed" it but I had to use a sorta hack to do it. eliminating the newlines didn't work, what I ended up doing was adding "margin-top: -10px;" to the div that is directly underneath the nav bar div, and adding "margin-top: 0 !important;" right before that margin value so it stays the same in firefox.

However, I am not sure if IE7 and all other browsers will use the margin-top value of 0 or -10px. Is there anyway to make that negative margin value be used by IE6 only in the css?

Remove Ads